Kia

Kia Troubleshooting Questions? Ask a Mechanic

Kia

2005 kia: timing belt..sorento3.5 but all marks are at top dead center

I change the timing belt...
I change the timing belt on my 2005 kia sorento3.5 but all marks are at top dead center. When I turn it by hand a full turn its very hard to turn at one point or another but its still in time.
12/18/2010
Mike V.
Mike V., Technician
Hi Sir or Madam Thank you for choosing JA, I will do my very best to assist you with your concern.
so can you turn the engine by hand 4 complete revolutions and still have the timing marks line up? Not the marks on the belt, but on the cams and crank
This is an interference engine. If I turn it, it might ben the values
Not if you turn it by hand. You won't bent the valves.
If you can't get four strokes out of it, then the valves are touching and something is out of align. It is going to turn hard on 2 of the 4 strokes due to compression.
yes I turn it four times the marks are in but I here a click when top dead center
Ok, that being the case, I would redo it. Make sure you get the marks on the belt lined up properly with the marks on the sprockets.
Click is not good, but the fact that you are able to get the engine to roll completely through it's cycle is a good sign. You may be off a tooth or two and bot totally off, if that makes sense.
the new belt has no marks on it but all four top cams are lineup perfix and the crank is perfix
Ok, if the belt ha no alignment marks on it and the cam sprockets and the crank sprocket lines up with the timing marks it should be good.
I have never seen a belt with no alignment marks. I would seriously confide contacting the parts store and see if they have another and ask them to look for the marks. It should have them I believe.

I turn it again and when I go half way it stop and at top dead center it stops but marks are still on the cam and crank

Well, I do understand, but I am worried it might possibly be off by a tooth or two. Although as long as all the marks line up, it shouldn't be. But you always have to rotate it 4 times to do a complete cycle on a 4 stroke engine.
well when I go back to top dead center and stop it is hard to turn again
TDC is the compression stroke, so it should be hard to get there,then drop off after you get past it.
I have to force it then it goes free
Ok, that could just be the compression then. It seems ok from here to be honest.
I don't want to start the engine and the valves ben
Well,I can open this back up for the other experts, but I feel you may need to get someone that can actually see it.
To be honest, I think you are ok because normally if the valves are hitting, you can't rotate the engine at all. You are able to and what you are feeling is probably normal. It should get real tight on 2 of the 4 strokes and then easy on the other two.

I have work on cars for many years and have not seen this before

Ok, I still have issues with the new belt not having marks, but I will open this up for the other guys. I am not comfortable with telling you to fire it up.
Please don't reply or anyone with new info won't be able to reply.
Scott
Scott, ASE Certified Technician

I am Scott and I will assist you with your vehicle concern.

I am sure having worked on on vehicles, you have the information from KIA or Motor/Alldata, ect: The one thing that is VERY important on this motor is the belt deflection and the cam marks.

IN THIS ORDER ONLY "Align the timing marks of each sprocket and install the timing belt in this order. Crankshaft sprocket → Idler pulley → Exhaust camshaft sprocket (LH) → Intake camshaft sprocket (LH) → Water pump pulley → Intake camshaft sprocket (RH) → Exhauft camshaft sprocket (RH) →Tensioner pulley"

graphic

Now if you are hearing a click, and have resistance, I would bit start the engine yet. I would do a cylinder leak down test first. I fear, that somewhere a valve kissed a piston.

The firewall cam shafts tend to have more spring tension and may spring back. I have had instances with clients having a cam spring back when removing the belt and actually, inadvertently bent a valve if returning it counter clockwise.

Play it safe, do the leak down test and if it passes, get a belt from KIA. It comes with the reference marks that carguy had mentioned, and takes the guess work out on the beck cam sprockets.

scott I did the test it's good and I got the belt from kia no marks on it

Now that is good, and odd. I am wondering if Hyundai is getting cheap on us.

If the marks are good and with the plugs out you have no resistance like you had before, start it. There is really nothing else left to do or check. The leak down test verified no leaks at the valves, which would have us assume that there is no damage. As far as the clicking, if a HLA has bled down, that could be the noise.

when I turn the engine one rotation back to TDC it stops

Are you maybe hearing this from the area of the CVVT valve?

No scott when I turn one time no more noise but it stops at TDC then hard to turn one more rotation but timing still in

Plugs in or out
plugs in
That could be the TDC compression that car guy told you about. These engines are tight and have a very high compression.
Ok but the compression should go down after a few minutes, but still turns harded.

Actually, once you pass TDC and the exh valve opens, resistance should diminish. until the next cylinder loads up. It will be a repeat process as the crank turns. Resistance, ease, resistance, ease.

On another note and not the issue you have, there is a campaign on the crank bolt to not reuse it and to replace it. KIA #072

With my experience with interfernce engines if the valve ben the engine will not turn at all the belt on this car did not brake.I replaced belt,crank bolt.all pulleys,tenioner,water pump.

I have had them turn, but you get that hair raising "snap" If the resistance sounds like the compression feel, you verified all is will w/ leak down test, belt deflection and tension are correct and the marks continue to line up timing marks, then I see no issue with proceeding with the repair. You have all the ingredients, so the only thing left is turning the key.

Scott one more thing it still fell like it's hard to turn at some point on a full turn

Actually, you should feel it more than once. After the resistance, the crank shaft will decrease resistance and float into the next event. You are pushing against the compression stroke.
Scott
Scott, ASE Certified Technician
Ok scott thank for all your help and carguy1 thanks

Have a good weekend

Scott
Scott
Scott, ASE Certified Technician