Kia

Kia Troubleshooting Questions? Ask a Mechanic

Kia

2003 Kia Sorento - my husband has replaced the fuel pump 4

Customer Question
times in the last 5...
2003 Kia Sorento - my husband has replaced the fuel pump 4 times in the last 5 months - with 3 of those times occurring in the last 2 weeks. He also replaced the valve in the fuel tank because of a problem with gas shooting back when you try to put gas in it - the fuel pumps keep failing - we are at a loss - are the fuel pumps defective or is there something else going on?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Kia
8/25/2010
Kia Mechanic: Cardoctor69, ASE Certified Technician  replied 7 years ago
Cardoctor69
Cardoctor69, ASE Certified Technician
Ok is the issues there is power to the pump and the pump does not work? Has you replaced the fuel pump relay?
correct - there is power to the pump - pumps work for a period of time then stop working - first one worked for about 5 months, 2nd, 3rd & 4th ones have worked only for about a day - they fail on acceleration - he did not replace relay - getting a misfire code because there is no fuel going to cylinders
Ok this can all be caused by a failing relay when it heats up it loses the ground to the pump not allowing it to operate . These pumps are actually shorting out or your not sure.
not sure - he started having problems putting gas in the car because of canister close valve - that is when all this started - first fuel pump replacement only allowed him to go about 5 mph - 2nd replacement - car would not start at all; 3rd replacement gradually allowed him to get up to 50 mph but car dies if he tries to accelerate too fast - he says they had ground and were getting full charge - also, he said changing ccv did not resolve the fuel problem and the fuel pump problem got worse after he replaced the ccv. He replaced the ccv after the first fuel pump failed after working about 5 months - the other 3 fuel pumps were replaced after the ccv valve was replaced and they stop working after a day or so - could there be a connection here? Is pressure building up because of some type of kink in line or bad ccv?
Ok the entire issue is there is a blockage in the tank . Most common is a faulty fuel tank pressure sensor building up to much pressure. If the canister vet shut calendar replaced then this needs to be checked next . There are also issues with fuel pressure regulators . These need to be checked next along with the fuel lines are on correct and not kinked. Hope this helped. Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.
so its not the fuel pump at all?
Nope . These other items needs to be checked . It's not the fuel pump. These are the next steps . Hoped this helped. Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.Also make sure the fuel pump harness and connector to the pump is not damaged.
Did you need anything else.
Cardoctor69
Cardoctor69
Cardoctor69, ASE Certified Technician