Kia

Kia troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic

2001 Kia Sephia LS: occasionally..key turned there is no turn…

Customer Question
Have a 2001 Kia Sephia...
Have a 2001 Kia Sephia LS - AT. Starter seems to act intermittantly. It will Start just fine many times, but occasionally when key turned there is no turn over at all (no starter revolutions), or just a brief half second revolution, then nothing. Keep trying key, but no response. Come back in 10 minutes and it starts fine. Cleaned all battery post connections, and is new battery, does not appear to be any electic problem at source. Does not seem to be related to temp, etc as it has occured on first start attempt in morning, and after long drive. Can hear a click when key turned if starter doesnt turn over
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Kia
6/29/2010
Kia Mechanic: Mike V., Technician replied 8 years ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Technician
Hi Sir or Madam Thank you for choosing JA, I will do my very best to assist you with your concern.
This sounds like the starter is failing. There is really know way to test it unless you can catch it at just the time it is failing. The fact that you are getting at least a click indicates the wiring to the starter is fine.
You have done all we would do to this point so I suggest replacing the starter to resolve the problem.
Hope this helps!