Kia

Kia troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic

2005 Rio: plate..pedal..nuts..bracket is somewhat loose but wont come…

I have a 2005 Rio...
I have a 2005 Rio and the plate that holds the clutch cable cable broke. My question is, how do I remove the pedal bracket? I have removed all nuts and screws and the bracket is somewhat loose but won't come out.
6/29/2010
Kiatech
Kiatech, Kia Master Technician
Chat Conversation Started
Kiatech :

HiCustomer, Thank you for using JustAnswer, Are you refering to the part on the pedal bracket?

Customer:

Yes. I bought a new bracket.

Kiatech :

Ok give me a few min to look up some info.

Customer:

Ok

Kiatech :

Is it a early 05 or a late 05 that looks like the 06?

Customer:

Early 05.

Kiatech :

Well i'm trying to upload a exploded view for you. But its not working. I will keep trying.

Customer:

Ok.

Customer:

ok

Kiatech :

http://rapidshare.com/files/403723998/bo2c040b.gif.html

Kiatech :

2 of 3

Kiatech :

http://rapidshare.com/files/403724345/bo2c070a.gif.html

Kiatech :

3 of 3

Kiatech :

Look at the exploded views and tell me if you see the part. So we are on the same page.4

Kiatech :

Are you still there?

Customer:

Still here, sorry my browser fluked out

Kiatech :

You get a chance to look at the photos?

Customer:

Yes, Im looking at them. The bracket that the clutch and brake pedals are tied into is the one im talking about.

Kiatech :

OK

Customer:

No.

Kiatech :

What all have you removed?

Customer:

The clutch cable and all the nuts and screws mounting the braket to the firewall and steering

Kiatech :

Kia has just rebuilt Our repair information site. And it seems to me they are leaving some thing out.

Customer:

Yea, the service manual picks isolate the parts from all the other stuff down there, steering, wires, etc.

Kiatech :

How loose is the bracket? can you see anything stoping it from moving?
I seem to remember the dash being attached to that bracket,when removing the dash

Customer:

I cant see anything holding it. I can jiggle it, but i cant get it off any of the bolts its on

Kiatech :

You there?

Customer:

yes

Kiatech :

I think its the dash that is holding it in. If this can wait untill 8:30 AM EST i have a Rio in the shop. and when i get there i will crawl under the dash and find out for you.

Customer:

that sounds good, thanks for the help

Kiatech :

Ok ill talk to you in the am

Customer:

pk

Kiatech :

Wait untill the am before posting responce.

Kiatech :

You need to remove the crash pad (You dont have to remove it compleatly, just enough to get the pedal assy out.

Kiatech :

1. Remove console.
2. Remove driver air bag module. Refer to Group RT, Driver Air Bag Module.
3. Remove steering wheel, turn signal assembly, and upper/lower column covers. Refer to Group ST, Steering System.
4. Remove two mounting bolts on either side of steering column, which hold instrument panel and steering column together. Lower steering column to floor level.
5. Remove hood release handle lock nut, hood release handle and cable assembly nut.
6. Remove instrument cluster

A. Remove three screws and instrument cluster housing.
B. Remove four bolts from instrument cluster.
C. Disconnect electrical connector for rear of unit.

7. Remove center panel ventilation control panel.

8. Remove radio.
A. Remove four mounting screws from radio.

B. Disconnect electrical connector for rear of radio.
C. Remove antenna cable for rear of radio.
D. Remove radio.

9. Remove glove box.
10. Remove four mounting bolts and side cover from left/right side of T-bar.

11. Remove four mounting bolts from bottom of instrument panel.

12. Disconnect all connectors between instrument panel and vehicle bulkhead electrical wire harness.
13. Remove instrument panel.

Customer:

That's what I needed to know. Thanks for all your help.

Kiatech
Kiatech, Kia Master Technician

I have removed all the parts you listed. The bracket is being held by a piece welded to the assembly that provides a support frame for the entire dash. Not sure what that is called. Do I need to move this whole assembly away from the firewall to remove the bracket. If so, how do do this?

That support frame should come out with the dash. Once everything is disconnected , you should be able to tilt the whole dash back. then lift it out. Let me look at what i sent you to make sure i didn't leave anything out.

Here it is again complete. I purposely left out some steps before. Because i thought it would clear if the dash was tilted some. You may also have to pop off the A-pillar trim that runs along the windshield.( don't forget the bolt in the center of the dash.

If you have a digital camera take some and send them to me. You can use Rapidshare.com , Just send me the link.

Removal

1. Remove center panel trim. Refer to center panel trim.
  2. Remove console. Refer to "Console".
  3. Remove driver air bag module. Refer to "Driver Air Bag Module".
  4. Remove steering wheel, turn signal assembly, and upper/lower column covers. Refer to Steering System.
  6. Remove two mounting bolts and side cover from left side of T-bar.

graphic

1. Remove two mounting bolts from left side of instrument panel as shown.

graphic

1. Remove four mounting screws from radio.
  2. Disconnect electrical connector for rear of radio.
  3. Remove antenna cable for rear of radio.
  4. Remove radio.
  5. Remove ventilation control panel. Refer to "Ventilation Control Panel".
  6. Remove glove box.
  7. Remove passenger air bag module. Refer to "Passenger Air Bag Module".
  8. Remove two mounting bolts and side cover on right side of T-bar as shown.
  9. Remove two mounting bolts from right of instrument panel assembly as shown.

graphic

1. Remove one mounting bolt and cover at middle of top of instrument panel.
  2. Remove two mounting bolts on either side of steering column, which hold instrument panel and steering column together. Lower steering column to floor level.
  3. Disconnect all connectors between instrument panel and vehicle bulkhead electrical wire harness.
  4. Remove instrument panel.

Installation

1. Mount instrument panel into position. Make sure steering column is mounted correctly through T-bar with electrical wire harness in position before attempting to position instrument panel in place. If this is not done, column cannot be positioned correctly
  2. Connect linking connectors between vehicle electrical wire harness and instrument panel. Each connector is keyed so an electrical harness connector mates with correct instrument panel connector.
  3. Install two mounting bolts, one on either side of steering column, which hold instrument panel and steering column together. Tighten bolts to 13 - 19 lb-ft (18 - 26 N.m, 1.8 - 2.7 kg-m)
  4. Install one mounting bolt and cover.
  5. Install three mounting bolts to right side of instrument panel as shown. Tighten bolts to 13 - 19 lb-ft (18 - 26 N.m, 1.8 - 2.7 kg-m)

graphic

1. Install two mounting bolts on right side of instrument panel as shown. Tighten bolts to 13 - 19 lb-ft (18 - 28 N.m, 1.8 - 2.7 kg-m)
  2. Install passenger air bag module. Refer to "Passenger Air Bag Module". Tighten bolts to 13 - 19 lb-ft (18 - 26 N.m, 1.8 - 2.7 kg-m)
  3. Install glove box.
  4. Install ventilation control panel. Refer to "Ventilation Control Panel".
  5. Install antenna cable to rear of radio.
  6. Connect electrical connector to rear of radio.
  7. Install four mounting screws to radio.
  8. Install two mounting bolts to left side of instrument panel. Tighten bolts to 13 - 19 lb-ft (18 - 26 N.m, 1.8 - 2.7 kg-m)
  9. Install two bolts and side cover on left side of T-bar. Tighten bolts to 13 - 19 lb-ft (18 - 26 N.m, 1.8 - 2.7 kg-m)
  10. Install retaining nut holding hood release cable in position.
  11. Install hood release handle. Refer to "Hood Release Handle".
  12. Install steering wheel, turn signal assembly and upper/lower column covers. Refer to Steering System.
  13. Install driver air bag module. Refer to "Driver Air Bag Module".
  14. Install console. Refer to "Console".
  15. Install center panel trim. Refer to "Center panel trim".
  16. Install negative cable onto battery terminal.

Removal

1. Remove center panel trim. Refer to "Center panel Trim".
  2. Remove four mounting screws.

graphic

1. Remove ventilation control panel from mounting space.
  2. Disconnect harness connector from rear of unit.
  3. Remove glove box.
  4. Remove temperature cable and mode cable from heater unit by carefully depressing plastic retaining tab and remove cable from retaining clip. Refer to Heating, Ventilation and Air conditioning.
  5. Remove ventilation control panel from instrument panel.

Installation

1. Mount ventilation control panel in position in instrument panel.
  2. Depress plastic tab on heater assembly and connect temperature cable and mode cable in place in retaining clip.
  3. Install glove box.
  4. Connect harness connector to rear of ventilation control panel.
  5. Mount ventilation control panel into position and install four mounting screws.
  6. Install center panel trim. Refer to "Center Panel Trim".

I will try to get you some pics when I get home. I thought that was what needed to be done, just don't want to break anything!

Great pixs by the way. You only have about 4 bolts left to remove. I used one of the pix you sent ,to point out some things. Besides what i pointed out, you should have already removed

the bolts on each end of the dash, and the bolt under the cap in the center of the dash. When get all the bolts out. You should be able to tilt the dash back to the rear. To remove the dash. Tilt it back so you can get to the wiring connections on both side.

http://rapidshare.com/files/405845296/untitled_-_Copy.bmp