Kia

Kia troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic

KIA SORENTO: intermitent BLOWING COLD then HOT...BLOWING hot AGAIN.

Customer Question
I HAVE AN 05...
I HAVE AN 05 KIA SORENTO. THE A/C USED TO BLOW COLD THEN IT WOULD BE INTERMITENT BLOWING COLD THEN HOT. THE OTHER DAY THE AIR WAS BLOWING COLD THEN JUST STARTING BLOWING HOT AGAIN. NOW THATS ALL IT DOES. THE COMPRESSOR IS NOT COMING ON AT ALL NOW. WHAT IS THE PROBLEM
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Kia
6/28/2010
Kia Mechanic: Kiatech, Kia Master Technician replied 8 years ago
Kiatech
Kiatech, Kia Master Technician
Chat Conversation Started
Kiatech :

Hi JACUSTOMER-mqd35hby , Thank you for using JustAnswer. Do you have a 12V test light
or a volt meter?

Customer:

I AM AN ELECTRICIAN AND HAVE BOTH

Kiatech :

Disconnect the single wire to the compressor. With the engine running and the a/c on check for battery voltage at the compressor.

Customer:

I DID THIS AND AM NOT GETTING ANY VOLTAGE WITH CONTROLS TURNED ON

Customer:

I AM NOT IN FRONT OF THE CAR RIGHT NOW. IS THE RELAY IN THE UNDER HOOD FUSE BOX LABELED AIR CON RELAY ON THE DIAGRAM THAT I AM CHECKING. IF I HAVE POWER ON THE 2 LEGS YOU SAY TO PUT A JUMPER IN ON THE SWITCHED SIDE OF THE RELAY. ONCE THIS IS DONE WHAT SHOULD I SEE HAPPENING? SHOULD THE COMPRESSOR TURN ON? THE SECOND PART OF YOUR QUESTION WAS DOES THE INDICATOR LIGHT ON THE CONTROLS LIGHT UP WITH AIR ON? ON THE CONTROLS THE LIGHT COMES ON WHEN YOU PUSH IN THE A/C BUTTON.

Customer:

ARE YOU STILL THERE

Kiatech :

Yes there is a problem with chat

The relay is marked a/con.i posted the diagram for the fuse box. One thing i forgot to mention, Use a paper clip or something the size of the blades on the relaywhen checking in the box. You dont want to spread the connectors. Back to the relay. If you have power, jump the relays switch side and the compressor should come on. If the compressor does not ome on. Remove the fuse box, and check the connectors at the fuse box for overheating. If the compressor cmes on let me know and we can go further

Customer:

IF I JUMP THE SWITCH AND THE COMPRESSOR COMES ON THEN IS IT A BAD RELAY?

Kiatech :

It could be the relay, Swapping it with one of the other relays will verify it. If the relay is good the next thing i would check is the Evaporator temp sensor (thermister) One other thing , did you check to see if there was freon in te system?

Customer:

I DIDN'T CHECK THE FREON. THE ONLY REASON I DIDNT CHECK WAS IT WAS BLOWING COLD BEFORE IT STOPPED. YOU SAY IF THE RELAY IS GOOD CHECK THE EVAPORATOR TEMP SENOR. WHERE IS THAT LOCATED?