Kia

Kia troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic

1999 KIA Sportage: 4x4..overheating...radiator..new coolant…

I have a 1999 KIA...
I have a 1999 KIA Sportage 4x4. It is overheating. I put in a new thermostat, emptied and flushed the radiator, refilled it with new coolant. The clutch fan seems OK (fan turns), the A/C fan also turns on when A/C is on. It still overheats in stop and go traffic, seems OK at freeway speeds. What else do I need to check?
6/25/2010
Mike V.
Mike V., Technician
Hi Sir or Madam Thank you for choosing JA, I will do my very best to assist you with your concern.
It is possible that the water pump needs to be replaced. If the impeller on the pump is or has come loose,then it can't push enough coolant at lower speeds to keep the engine cool. I would go there next,based on what you have already done. Hope this helps!
Mike V.
Mike V., Technician
BAD NEWS: I replaced the water pump, which turned out to be a bigger job than I thought it would be (like 6 hours) and in the process apparently messed up the timing, resulting in a $600 bill for a mechanic to correct the problem, fortunate that it did not result in a full valve job. I would have appreciated a little warning or added instructions needed in replacing the water pump. NOW: the car is running again but it is still overheating. The mechanic that worked on the car said he would diagnose the problem for $85, but that it is probably a faulty fan clutch, or a radiator that needs to be removed and cleaned. It seems to me that these would have been easier and less expensive to check before I did the water pump. QUESTION: How do I check if the fan clutch is working properly? It seems to OK but I don't know how to tell. AND how do I check to see if the radiator is plugged up or not???
Well, this is not good news at all. I apologize for the issues.
Here is the procedure for the fan clutch. As for the radiator. You can remove it and check the flow with a garden hose. Again,I am very sorry for the confusion on the water pump and will be sure to comment on the timing with the next customer.
graphic