Kia

Kia troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic

Alternator..bearings..A/C/Power steering belt replaced..timing belt…

Customer Question
Just had my alternator replace...
Just had my alternator replace (dealer said bearings went bad), serpentine and A/C/Power steering belt replaced. All the noises that were associated with those items are gone, however now the dealer said the car is making a flapping noise which is the timing belt even though they haven't inspected the belt. Could the noise be from something else or is it most likely the timing belt. If so, now that it is flapping how much longer would I possibly have before the time runs out. 64,000 miles on '05 Kia Optima.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Kia
6/24/2010
Kia Mechanic: Mike V., Technician replied 8 years ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Technician
Chat Conversation Started
Carguy1 :

HI there! If the timing belt is making noise, you are out of time

Carguy1 :

you need to have it addressed before it breaks completely and destroys the engine

Chat Conversation Ended

If you are still working with your Expert on this question, you can post additional replies and receive additional information on this page.  If you received a satisfactory answer in Chat, you can accept the chat conversation above.
That is not what I have been told. What I was told was that it sounds like it is loose.
I understand,if it is loose, then the tensioner under the cover that holds the belt on is going bad. If this happens then the belt can jump time and damage the engine. It really needs to be addressed right away or it will lead you to bigger more expensive issues.