Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

I need to know which end of the right shaft on a 2005 jeep…

I need to know which...
I need to know which end of the right shaft on a 2005 jeep grand cherokee right side go's into the differential the short side or the long side
10/25/2021
Jeep Mechanic: Paul M ASE Master, ASE Master Tech replied 1 year ago
Paul M ASE Master
Paul M ASE Master, ASE Master Tech

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. I'm Paul. I will be happy to help you with your question today.
I'm Sorry you have an issue with your vehicle today.

Can I ask who I am speaking with Today?

Are you changing the axle shaft? front or rear? please send a photo of the shaft you are trying to install so I can pull up the information for you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I can't send one it's the shaft goes in the differential on the right hand side of a 2005 jeep grand cherokee on the front differentialNo I don't want to call I need to know if the short splines or the long splines go's in the differentialWellARE YOU THERE

Yes sorry I was on a different window. Stand by while I pull that up. Please ignore phone call prompts. Give me a few minutes

The end that goes into the differential has a snap ring on it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay I'm waiting

The side that goes into the differential should have a snap ring on it. That would be the inboard side of the axle

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Both ends have a snap ring on it

Send a photo of the shaft please you can attach using the paper clip icon. there are 3 differentials listed for these

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This is the shaft that go's into the differential that the axle hooks to

let me see if I can pull up the differential rebuild info that should have image of it give me a few more minutes.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't have a paper clip on my phoneThat would be the right hand shaft going into the differential that the axle hooks toIs the long splines or the short splines go in the differential

No graphics are pulling up in the factory data for which side is longer. Stand by I am going to open this up to other technicians.

Please wait for a new expert before responding.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What is taking so long
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The snap ring is far away from where the axle goes is that okay
Jeep Mechanic: David Craig, Auto Mechanic replied 1 year ago

The snap ring has to go inside the differential.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It don't go through the hub the cv axle hooks to it the shaft is inside the house one splines are long the other is short I need to know which way to put it in both ends has snap ring on themThe cv axle hooks to the hub not the inner shaft
Jeep Mechanic: Devan, mechanic,
 replied 1 year ago
Devan, mechanic
I will pull up service information and try to provide you helpful information, the longer side with the outer splines goes into the wheel HUB. The side with the shorter end and the snap ring snaps into the differential. I will be back shortly with step by step instructions to help clarify this. You should not be able to see the snap ring once correctly installed
Jeep Mechanic: Devan, mechanic,
 replied 1 year ago
Grab the HUB end of the axle shaft and press in towards differential, keep pulling back and pushing in until the shaft pops in and snaps into the differential, if you are having trouble splining the shaft through the splines in the hub, check the splines in the HUB for damage, try lubing the splines also, if you still have trouble compare the splines of the new shaft to the old one. Perhaps you have the wrong part or its not the same as the old one
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No one end go's into the differential the other end hooks up to the cv axle and the other end of the cv axle hooks into the hubThis shaft is inside the housing of the differential it's what the cv axle hooks to one end has long splines the other end has short splines
Jeep Mechanic: Devan, mechanic,
 replied 1 year ago
An axle shaft like the ones you posted has 2 ends, one end in the differential. Other end in the HUB. The CV axle is what your replacing. You mean you cant cant the CV axle into the HUB?? What exactly are you trying to ask? Iv replaced thousands of these and sorry but the question is not making senseThe end with Threads for the axle nut goes through the HUBWhat exactly is getting replaced? Just the CV shaft right?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have a new right cv axle the shaft inside the housing that the cv axle hooks to is what I'm talking about one side of the shaft has long splines the other end has short splines both ends has a snap ring on it I need to know which end go's into the differential the long splines or the short splines it's a single shaft inside the housing of the differentialI can pull up the breakdown of the differential but it doesn't show which end is long or short splines going into the differential
Jeep Mechanic: Devan, mechanic,
 replied 1 year ago
Ok im sorry I thought you were just replacing the cv shafts. Let me do some research about installation of the intermediate shaft and ill get back with you in just a few
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I didn't know it was called a intermediate shaft but that's the one with the short and long splines
Jeep Mechanic: Devan, mechanic,
 replied 1 year ago
That diagram is also showing the order in which parts are installed
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I haven't got a diagram
Jeep Mechanic: Devan, mechanic,
 replied 1 year ago
Thats odd it shows it sent. However its the end with the shorter splines that goes in the differential. I highly highly doubt the shaft is machined to go in either way.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay I appreciate it thanks for helping me out with my problem
Jeep Mechanic: Devan, mechanic,
 replied 1 year ago
Not a problem! And yes I can 100% grantee the shorter end goes in the differential from experience and looking at my diagram.Let me know how the installation goes!
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No the shaft does not go in the hub one end go's into the differential the other end hooks up to the cv axle then the cv axle other end go's into the hub
Jeep Mechanic: Devan, mechanic,
 replied 1 year ago
Ok, I thought we both agreed that I helped answer your question. You are replacing the intermediate shaft from the inside of the differential to the cv shaft. You are also replacing the cv shaft from the outer end of intermediate shaft to the hub. I told you the end of the intermediate shaft with the shorter splines goes inside the differential. You told me no. Thats what you needed to know? Right? What exactly is your concern right now. Sorry but you have me lost now and I really want to help
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
On the long splines the cv axle will not reach the snap ring the only one the cv axle will reach is the short splinesWill the cv axle stay on if it doesn't reach the snap ring
Jeep Mechanic: Devan, mechanic,
 replied 1 year ago
I would imagine it would not stay in place. Do you have the old parts, have you compared the old with the new to verify the new parts are correct?Have you tried putting the longer splined end in the differential. Perhaps the diagram is wrong.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the cv axle is the same the intermediate shaft is the same one that came out of the differential so that must mean the long splines go's in the differential and the short splines hooks to the cv axleNo I haven't tried to put it in yet I'll try to tomorrow
Jeep Mechanic: Devan, mechanic,
 replied 1 year ago
Ok ill try to dig up some more research in the meantime. Keep me posted
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If the snap ring has to be inserted in the cv axle then the long splines go's in the differential
Jeep Mechanic: Devan, mechanic,
 replied 1 year ago
Did the shorter end snap and lock into the differential or can it be just simply pulled out
Devan, mechanic
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I haven't tried it yet I'm going to try the long splines because the snap ring doesn't reach the cv axle