Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

How important is the plastic shield above the alternator on…

How important is the...

How important is the plastic shield above the alternator on a 2015 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk?

Mechanic's Assistant: What shape is the alternator belt currently in? When was the last time it was replaced or adjusted?

The belt is fine. My question is about the little plastic shield above the alternator...is it really necessary?

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the approximate mileage on your 2015 Cherokee Trailhawk?

130000

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Jeep Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

No, thank you

9/27/2021
Jeep Mechanic: jeffreyg31,
 replied 12 months ago
jeffreyg31

Hi there, Sorry to hear about all your car troubles. My Name is ***** ***** I am an ASE Advanced Level Master Technician here to assist you with your vehicle. Please understand I am not there with you, But I am here to help. Any information about what is going on is greatly appreciated. The system will ask for a phone call, Please let me know if you want this option as I am not always available to do so. Be aware that I am assisting many customers at the same time and will get back to you as quickly as I can. I like to research each answer before I get back to you to ensure that I give out the correct info. Thank you for understanding.

can you attach a photo of the shield your questioning?

No, it's under the car. I have replaced the alternator (which is a big job), but now having a problem reassembling...the little plastic heat shield on the top that is held on by the same two bolts that hold the top of the alternator is hampering me from getting the bolts in correctly.
Jeep Mechanic: jeffreyg31,
 replied 12 months ago

is it a heat shield or is it designed to draw air down onto the back of the alternator as the fan blows while driving?

I'm not sure...the cooling fan blows right on it (the fan shroud is also hampering installation)On the alternator, I meanHere's a photo of the part
I just texted a photo
Jeep Mechanic: jeffreyg31,
 replied 12 months ago

i got the photo, looking through service manual to see what its there for

is this cherokee the 4 cylinder version?

It's the 3.2L V6
Jeep Mechanic: jeffreyg31,
 replied 12 months ago

my service manual access doesnt even show a shield, id run it and call it good.

jeffreyg31
Thanks Jeffrey, have a great night!