Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

I have a cyclic grinding sound when my 2016 Wrangler is

I have a cyclic...

I have a cyclic grinding sound when my 2016 Wrangler is moving. I just noticed it with my Freedom tops off and windows down. It sounds like metal scraping metal / road. I looked under the car and nothing is hanging off.

Mechanic's Assistant: How long has this grinding noise been going on? Any leaking?

I just noticed it 15 minutes ago, it was not there this morning when driving around. I didn't see any leaks.

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the approximate mileage on your '15 Wrangler?

'16 Wrangler, and 30,000 miles

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Jeep Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

No, just that I haven't had any issues previously

7/3/2021
Jeep Mechanic: william readon,
 replied 1 year ago
william readon

hi and welcome to Justanswer

a full inspection will be needed to confirm but if the noise sounds like it is coming from the rear i would suspect the rear brakes are metal to metal and will need to be replaced, 30-45k is about the time wranglers need rear brakes.

this is due to the rear brakes being smaller than the fronts and the brake bias being more to the rear for handling

i usually expect to see 2 rear brake jobs to one front

william readon
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay, thanks!
Jeep Mechanic: william readon,
 replied 1 year ago

you're welcome, have a safe holiday and good luck in your adventure