Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

I recently brought my 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee in for

I recently brought my...

I recently brought my 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee in for service telling them that my heat was not getting hot. They told me that I needed a new sensor and then stated that I had a small oil leak that they would need to fix hoses, etc and would need to remove the engine and other parts under the hood.Since then, there has been a smell coming from the engine through my vents which when we called they said was from the new parts. Its been over a month so I brought the car back because now, there is a hesitation when the engine starts. They are telling me now that clips need to be replaced for the condenser and that is what's causing the smell and that they didnt cause this when they replace hoses etc. Is this possible ? I feel they are responsible especially considering the smell was present immediately after picking up the car from them

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you ever replaced the gaskets? Maybe the hoses?

Service did

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Grand Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?

No - car came back like this after service

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

Thats it for now.

4/14/2021
Jeep Mechanic: TIM, SERVICE MANAGER replied 1 year ago
TIM
TIM, SERVICE MANAGER

do you have a copy of the service repair order so i can see what was done?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Im having them give me a new copy when I pick the car back up from them.

ok -- it will be extremely helpful to me in assisting you if I can see what they have done and what they have billed you for

and the smell you are having --- what does it smell like? burning oil? hot smell?

and other than the smell what other problems are you having with the jeep? is the check engine light on?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i wouldnt say a burning smell, but they had said it was the new parts they put in and we assumed that made sense at the time considering they had just replaced a few things they said we needed due to a supposed "small oil leak"

ok when you get copy of repair order upload it here please and iam sure i can help you

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i just found a photo of the hand written list they gave me at the time:thermostat
oil filter housing leaking - something w/ housing
spark plugs
intake gaskets
DLS
Brake fluid exchange
Engine air filter

yes im looking at it now

how many miles on your jeep?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This was what they wrote up for me and said they had to basically take the whole engine out or apart when all i ever took it on for was the thermo. But regardless the car came back and we called the next day80k

the oil leak housing is a known issue -- we have done a ton of these

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
84k. - Bc of the smelleach time I take the car in for service they try or do get me for something that wasnt there before I took it in. Also, the car is hesitating to turn over to start when it sits from nite to morning since then also.

the coolant flush and brake fluid exchange are a joke -- that is not needed

so here is what i think is going on -- where oil filter adapter housing is located it is in a valley in the engine and oil will pool there and slowly burn off causing smell

so at this point -=- i would stop going to this garage -- selling and doing stuff top your Jeep that is not needed

so please upload repair order so i can see what else was done and then i can advise of what we will do next if anything

i have been doing this for years and its one thing to make money on needed repairs -- its another to do stuff on cars just to make money--

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks! this is actually the second Jeep service we had to turn to. Island Jeep in staten island - terrible.would anything they did be causing the hesitant start ?Island Jeep gave me my car back without even changing the oil one time and
another time they disconnected my horn (idk how) and then when I went back they said I needed a whole new horn whatever and it wasnt covered. Left there took it to a local shop and they said the horn was just disconnected (smh)

it is possible -- just at this point we need to circle the wagons and evaluate all that was done and make a plan moving forward--

if check engine light is not on -- i would just buy some fuuel injection cleaner and dump in gas tank -- can get at parts store for $10

i have a brother that lives an hour north of the city and i tell him -- have NOTHING done until you talk to me

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
IDK where Im supposed to go now for maintenance

the problem down in the city is greed -- most people dont know about cars and these places prey on them-- its criminal

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
im guessing these "condenser clips" are fine on my Jeep if I have no issues with my AC ?would it really cost $1500 ?

correct -- that is a lot of crap -- do NOT do that

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I feel better knowing the oil thing is a common issue now, but Im not giving them another 1500

I have been a JEEP service manager for 35 years -- never heard of "condenser clips"

TIM
TIM, SERVICE MANAGER
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks Tim, really appreciate it !

if you dont mind -- when you get time -- upload the copy of repair order - i will review and we can go from there -- but no more"repairs" with this place

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Will do !

thanks -- i will steer you in the right direction