Marc
Marc, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Independent Mechanic
18899190

I have a 2019 jeep compass, i ran out of gas and it stopped,

Hi! i have a 2019 jeep compass, i ran out of gas and it stopped, as it stopped the parking break turned on. i put a couple gallons of gas in but now it won’t start? the break and the steering wheel are locked?
JA: Have you applied constant pressure to the steering wheel while turning the key in the ignition?
Customer: yes
JA: Are you fixing your Compass yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: i two came to move my car and he said he had never seen anything like it before. we got the parking break to turn off but the regular break still won’t budge and the engine won’t start a tow*
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: i don’t think so

Thanks for using JustAnswer.com! My name is Marc, and I'll try to answer your car questions. I'll start with some ideas of things to check, and then we can move on to more advanced diagnostics if needed.

• Im sorry to hear about the issue with the truck, but would be glad to try and help! Usually when the car runs out of gas, it should start right back up and operate normally once the fuel tank is filled again, but there may be module/computer issue at hand.
  • If possible, would scan for trouble codes and list any that you find to this message. I can post diagnostic information and wiring diagrams if needed. Would try to reset modules by disconnecting both battery cables and touching them together for 2 minutes to reset module logic. If this doesnt allow normal operation, car will need to be scanned and diagnosed using pro-level scan tool to ensure that brake switch input and start signal are being seen by the engine control module. Please lemme know what happens, or if any questions come up during inspection/diagnosis!
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
how do you scan for trouble codes?

There should be a port under the driver side dash where youll plug in a scan tool. You can purchase an engine code reader fairly cheaply at local auto parts store or online, or have reputable shop hook one up and pull codes from all of the modules that are on the car.