Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

2008 jeep Compass CODE P2004 Intake runner stuck open .....

I replaced the intake runner...
2008 jeep Compass CODE P2004 Intake runner stuck open ..... I replaced the intake runner control valve ....I made sure the flap inside the intake was moving and not stuck.... checked my 5 volt and ground at the control valve (yes I have both )
6/13/2019
Jeep Mechanic: Thomas Ragusa,
 replied 3 years ago
Thomas Ragusa

hello, my name is ***** ***** would like to help you today with your problem, bare with me one moment while I review your problem

Jeep Mechanic: Thomas Ragusa,
 replied 3 years ago

since you have checked all your wiring and your physical movement with the control valves, there is a case where depending on the build date of the vehicle you may need a new intake manifold and a PCM flash. Your dealer can look up the specific information for you. If your vehicle doesnt fall within the date codes, your PCM is probably the root cause of the light. you are getting all the correct readings but the computer is not reading the correct response.

it says something about if you replace the intake runner control valve you may have to do a pcm verification reset?
Jeep Mechanic: Thomas Ragusa,
 replied 3 years ago

the PCM verification test is just clearing the codes and running through a few key cycles to make sure the code comes back. which in your case it did

no cause I am not working on the vehicle right now my wife has it at work
Jeep Mechanic: Thomas Ragusa,
 replied 3 years ago

sorry making sure the code doesn't come back

code came back
Jeep Mechanic: Thomas Ragusa,
 replied 3 years ago

please ignore the automatic phone call request. it will not be necessary

so i would stick with my original plan, have a dealer check out the build date and intake maifold part number and match it to the case for your problem. they will have access to it. and see if you need a new intake manifold

ok ..... could there be carbon or gunk in there holding it open a little bit and setting the code or would it have to be open a good bit to set the code?
Jeep Mechanic: Thomas Ragusa,
 replied 3 years ago

there are only a few degrees that the runners move so it is quite possible there is gunk in there. but in my experience if it is dirty enough to set a code, the maifold needs to be changed

well I priced the manifold and its $420.00.... so I may take it off and try and soak it and clean it out first before I spend that on an intake
Jeep Mechanic: Thomas Ragusa,
 replied 3 years ago

I just went to rockauto.com and they have the manifold at $274. If that helps you

well I have bought off rock auto before and found that by the time you buy the part and pay shipping and wait for it you might as well by local...I thinki will stick with my original plan and try and clean it first
Jeep Mechanic: Thomas Ragusa,
 replied 3 years ago

ok, just figured I put that out there. the monifold is not that hard to take off. I believe its only 5 bolts holding it to the head and the 4 bolts for the throttle body. and sounds like a plan to me. Im here if you need me, good luck with your compass

thanks.... I will let you know how I make out
Jeep Mechanic: Thomas Ragusa,
 replied 3 years ago

welcome

Thomas Ragusa