Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

Gate' indicator on dash is on and interior lites stay on. I…

39;Gate' indicator on dash...

39;Gate' indicator on dash is on and interior lites stay on.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?

I open and close the gate, but gate indication still is on. but now, the latch will not open the gate.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Jeep?

2011 liberty

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Liberty yourself? What have you tried so far?

Have not tried but trying to avoid taking it to a dealer - if I knew what to replace I'd do it but looks like 3 sensors involved on the gate from what I've found on google

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, thanks

6/13/2019
Jeep Mechanic: Thomas Ragusa,
 replied 3 years ago
Thomas Ragusa

hello, my name is ***** ***** would like to help you out today. The tailgate latch is a very common failure, that is also where the computer gets the open sense from. You will need to replace the tailgate latch. also, if you open your tailgate glass you will see a seam in the weather strip, you will need to move the seam away from dead center. this will prevent any water getting in the tailgate and shorting out the new tailgate latch.

would this be available at auto zone or dealer only?
Jeep Mechanic: Thomas Ragusa,
 replied 3 years ago

bare with me one moment while I look

Thomas Ragusa
Jeep Mechanic: Thomas Ragusa,
 replied 3 years ago

it looks like no aftermarket companies make this trunk latch. the part is about $107 plus shipping on rockauto.com. you could try calling your local parts house, but on autozone I did not find any listings for it.