sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

My 1998 jeep check gages light came on yesterday. what could

Customer Question

my 1998 jeep check gages light came on yesterday. what could that indicate?
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: the "check gages" light.
JA: What is the model of your '98 Jeep?
Customer: Cherokee.
JA: Are you fixing your Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: The light came on as I was heading home. I later came out to pull it in the garage and the light did not come on. I live in Texas so it was hot yesterday but it didn't stall or stop. I was going to take it to be checked out this morning but thought I'd try to get some understanding of what might be going on.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: The car runs good. no previous issues and it was not running hot.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

The check gauges light comes on to alert you that one of the gauges needs your attention. If you did note that coolant temperature was ok at that time then either oil pressure or charging voltage were low. If you didn't note which, check the oil before running the engine again. From there you'll need to operate the vehicle until the light comes back again, and then note which gauge is showing an incorrect reading in order to proceed.
My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you. That matched the answer I got from another source. The oil gauge sometimes reads high or low but the oil level is fine. Thanks again.

If it reads abnormally high or doesn't go to zero with the engine off then odds are you have a bad oil sender.