Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

It is a 96 Jeep Cherokee SE 6 cylinder, 4.0 liter with 253k…

Customer Question
It is a 96...

It is a 96 Jeep Cherokee SE 6 cylinder, 4.0 liter with 253k miles on it. I am the original owner. It died, then would not start. Sounded like it was out of gas, but it was not (not that I ever have run out of gas in it :). So I found a 30A fuse that was blown in the distribution center under the hood. Per my manual, this is labeled ABS. It started, but then died and the fuse was blown again. This happened several times. So then I pulled the FUEL PUMP big relay fuse (4608650) and replaced it. Now it will start and idle without blowing the 30amp mini fuse. However, when I put it in gear, it is a manual 5-speed, it will go a few feet then blow the 30 amp mini fuse.

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?

253,000 miles. Yes starts fine. I am the original owner.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, and see my above text.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Jeep
5/30/2018
Jeep Mechanic: Vladimir Grodskiy, Automotive Electrician replied 2 months ago
Vladimir Grodskiy
Vladimir Grodskiy, Automotive Electrician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

My name is Vlad.

I have checked wiring diagram and found that the large MAX 30 A fuse is for the fuel pump relay so if that fuse pops up , then you likely have a faulty fuel pump that draws too much current or there is a wiring issue( short to ground) between the fuel pump relay and the fuel pump.

The mini 30A fuse is for ASD relay.

The ASD relay supplies +12V power to several things like : ignition coil, all injectors, alternator. oxygen sensors, Engine computer. I would start from unplugging both oxygen sensors and see if that fuses still pops up. if it does, then you will need carefully inspect wiring for any chafing and intermittent short to ground issue. The wire in question is a Dark Green/Orange wire ( this is output wire from ASD relay, it means when the relay energized, the mini 30a fuse supplies power to that wire and down to other components I mentioned above.Thanks