Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

No bus error, and now the headlights are too dim to see

Customer Question
No bus error Mechanic's...

No bus error

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Do you have scan tool or a code reader?

And now the headlights are too dim to see with

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Jeep?

170k, no scan tool, but have a P0443 IEvaporative emission system purge control) error. 2001 XJ

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your XJ yourself? What have you tried so far?

Sadly, I am doing it myself. I have removed the instrument cluster and sprayed it down with electrical cleaner.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

However when I reconnected it, the instruments didn't all work.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Jeep
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/29/2018
Jeep Mechanic: Amedee, Jeep Technician replied 2 months ago
Amedee
Amedee, Jeep Technician

Hello and welcome!

My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question.

Your saying that the engine starts and runs but the gauges dont work and there is a no bus error message on the cluster?

Hi, I am trying to self-repair a "no bus" error on my 2001 Jeep Cherokee. The gauges worked all winter, but started failing when I drove back from Colorado to Nevada. Now they hardly ever work. I have removed the cluster and sprayed the contacts with electric cleaner, but the guages still didn't work upon reconnection. My next move was to remove the cables from the dash and test them for continuity. Unless you have a better idea?
engine runs great, though I have a P0443 check engine
(evaporative emission system purge control) which I have been ignoring

Based on my experience, this condition is most likely caused by a faulty module on board the vehicle.

Would you like me to list the most likely modules causing this problem?

please
I've blown the fuse on the dash lights as well.

Most certainly. One moment please

Based on my experience, the most likely possible causes for this condition are..

• Instrument Cluster
  • Overhead Console
  • Sentry Key Immobilizer Module
  • Powertrian Control Module
What kind of symptoms would indicate one module over another?

NO communication with that module or sometimes they are warmer to the touch than the other modules indicating that it is shorting out.

Glad I can help! My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

I have disconnected the battery so warmth is not a possibility at the moment. I have a multi tester and I was planning on testing the continuity of the cables. Are you implying that replacing the instrument cluster is an option?
Is there a way to test to see if the instrument cluster is the problem? The radio doesn't work either so I have been suspecting a bad ground wire somewhere. Where would the wire that connects all these parts together be?
How do I remover the female instrument clusters from the inner dash panel?
Are you still there?

YES thats correct. The cluster could be an option. If the radio is not working, the radio could be faulty as well.

I do believe you can hold the trip and reset button down on the cluster (if equipped) and turn the key on to see if the gauge sweep indicating the cluster is good.

The wires go all over the vehicle. I suspect your talking about the bus system or circuit.

There might be small tabs you can remove or unclip using a screw driver.

It might be easier if we speak over the phone if you have several questions.

The radio and the no bus are related. When there is a good connection (like there was all winter) the radio worked fine. Because the headlights have become so dim, I think there is a voltage drain somewhere in the system. Do you know how to test for that? If not, it's ok, I'll figure it out eventually...

TO be honest, it would be more of a "short" or a "connection issue" rather than a "voltage drain".

Is there a common wire or harness that would affect the instrument cluster, the radio, and the headlights?
That's where I need to look for a short or connection issue.

YES, that is the BUS communication circuit. Would you like the color wire?

Where is the BUS communication circuit? And yes of course I would like the color.

What size engine do you have?

4.0

Thank you. There are two communication wires on this vehicle. They are a violet/brown wire and a white/black wire.

These wires go all over the vehicle to each module on board the vehicle. This is how the modules communicate with eachother.

I am glad I can help!

Please don't forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "5 STARS or SMILEY FACES" for assisting you today.

Keep in mind, we can still continue this conversation at no further cost to you even after you rate my answer. Just reply back to me using this page and I will get it and get back to you ASAP!

I just ask that you allow time in between replies as I may be helping other customers or offline spending time with the family.

Also, if you are a member or if you have a subscription to the site, you still need to rate my answer in order for me to get credit for assisting you with your question.

You should see the rating system towards the top of the page.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks and have a great day!!

Cool. I am not a mechanic, but is there a map of the location of each module? I saw on another forum (you were one of the contributors) that removing each module, and firing up the vehicle could test the modules one at a time. I could work through your list of possibilities that way if I knew where the modules actually were located.
Thanks

The only good source I know for getting all of this information would be alldatadiy.com. They have all of that information including wiring diagrams and component locations for this vehicle.

YES you could remove or disconnect each module at a time to see if that helps.

OK, I'll check out alldatadiy.com. I believe that I've only paid you $26 for your advice. If we can fix this online, instead of running it down to a mechanic, how do I pay you more?

I only get credit for assisting you after you complete the rating system. You can request a phone call or leave a tip/bonus to pay me additional funds.

Amedee, If you can solve this problem for me, I'll be not only eternally grateful, but will remunerate fairly (I hope). I'm still looking for the location of these modules. BTW, tried resetting the trip odometer button and got nothing on the instrument cluster.

Got it, as long as the power and ground is good to the cluster, it sounds like the cluster is the root cause. Might just be as simple as that. :)

Do you have a simple trick to test the power and ground to the instrument cluster? I have a multi tester and infinite patience..

Just use a test light or a voltmeter to check for power and ground.

I think I understand the basics, but since I'm slightly stupid, I probably need a little more detail. I have the cluster out. I can see the input to the cluster in the dash. There are ten slots in each of the incoming cables. Do you know which one of the twenty available slots is the ground? And which one is the power?

YES, the white/black wire pin 8 and the pink wire pin 9 are the power supplies on connector 1.

The black/light green wire on pin 9 of connector 2 and the the black/light green on pin 6 of connector 1 are the grounds.

Cool. I'll check right away and get back to you...

No need to get back to me if these check out good. It would be time to replace the cluster.

Dealer says the part isn't available anymore.....

Your best bet would be to get a used one from a junk yard or send it into a instrument cluster rebuild or repair place to get it fixed.

I am glad I can help!

Thanks and have a great day!!

quick one: how do I remove the cable clusters from the plastic inner dash board bracket. If I can do that without breaking the clips that hold the cables, I can see the colors of the wires and test them properly...
I found the problem, which was a corroded ground wire to the chassis about 6 inches from the battery. Of course I had disassembled practically all of the interior before figuring out the repair that actually took only about an hour, including the time to go to the auto parts store for a new cable and ground bolt.
But thanks for your help.
PS> I tried to flip you $20 for your time, but it wouldn't let me even give you a recommendation. Sorry bud....