Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

It starts shikking at 55mph. 2003 wrangler. And shops. Done…

Customer Question
It starts shikking at...

It starts shikking at 55mph

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Jeep?

2003 wrangler

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Wrangler yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes and shops

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Done a lot under the front end

Submitted: 21 days ago.Category: Jeep
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
this is what I am told is the death whobble
5/29/2018
Jeep Mechanic: Joe, ASE Certified Technician replied 21 days ago
Joe
Joe, ASE Certified Technician

Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is Joe and I will be happy to help you with your concern today.

Is the jeep lifted/modified suspension or tires at all? Or bone stock?

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
small lift tires not real big

Lift is crucial depending on who made it, cheap kits have issues. I presume everything is tight up front?

Are you using a single or dual steering stabilizer? And how old is it?

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
single and new one put on yes all new up front

And I can assume the new one was done in order to try and correct the problem?

Any play in the gearbox?

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
no

If wheels are held tight you should not be able to move that wheel side to side without feeling the tires also try to move.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
that's good

ok so youre saying no play then?

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
what about a camber correction kit
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
no play front end aligned

That'd be determined by a good offroad/liftkit place that knows what they are doing with alignments, the machine would determine if camber were out.

Camber is part of alignment.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
ok

Do you happen to know what type of lift kit and how tall?

Things like spacers vs good springs make a huge difference, so do control arms, bars, etc.

Often times these jeeps are lifted and all the sudden they have death wobble that is so highly known issue among jeep owners. But a lot of it has to do with tires and type of lift kit, how it was installed, certain pieces not used that should have been and then proper alignment.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know. Thanks for using justanswer / pearl.com and have a great day!