Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

Driving up a dirt road without 4 wheel engaged and hot oil…

Customer Question
Driving up a dirt...

Driving up a dirt road without 4 wheel engaged and hot oil light came on

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

Dash light says hot oil warning

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Jeep?

O8 wrangler unlimited

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Wrangler Unlimited?

08

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Wrangler Unlimited yourself? What have you tried so far?

My wife is on the road in California, I am in Montana trying to help

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Since they are not near a gas station, what is the best way to address the issue

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Jeep
5/27/2018
Jeep Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

The trans may be overheating for a number of reasons.

If the trans or torque converter are slipping it will cause fluid overheat, but there would be fault codes set.

If the trans cooler's airflow is blocked or there is a restriction preventing proper fluid flow through it then it will cause overheat.

Low speed, especially high RPM operation in high temperatures can also cause overheat, an I suspect this is probably the case. If the engine light is on and there isn't anything blocking airflow through the trans cooler then the best thing to do would be to park it and allow it to cool for a while if possible. It can also be ran with the trans in park for ten minutes or so, and if the cooling fan works correctly this will remove much of the high temperature.
My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.