Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

After I drive it 15-20 miles and the engine get good and hot…

Customer Question
After I drive it...

After I drive it 15-20 miles and the engine get good and hot it doesn't want to re-start. I can pour gas in the throttle body and it will start.

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

It has , and not quite the same but pretty close

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '15 Jeep?

1995 Yj 2.5

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I really haven't tried

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I'm wondering if the convertor is stopping up, starting to smell exhaust l

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Jeep
5/26/2018
Jeep Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

It will require some testing to determine exactly what is wrong but there is a good chance the issue is vapor lock due to a weak check valve in the fuel pump. If the check valve is weak then elevated fuel rail pressure during heat soak can push fuel back to the tank, leaving high pressure vapor in the rail instead of liquid fuel. You will then have a hard or no start issue until the vapor is collapsed as it cools, or is purged out the injectors through cranking.
My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.