Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

2004 Jeep Liberty 3.7 RWD -- Need help (need your

recommendation first, and then instructions,etc.).The...
2004 Jeep Liberty 3.7 RWD -- Need help (need your recommendation first, and then instructions,etc.).The upper and lower ball joints on both sides in the front are shot. So are the inner and outer tie rod ends. Also, the rubber bushing (or whatever it's called) where the strut mount connects to the lower control arm--those bushings are worn out on both sides.First, what would be your recommendation as far as the upper ball joints are concerned? Replace the whole upper control arm that comes with a new ball joint or just replace the upper ball joint? (what you'd recommend to the customer).Then, please send factory service instructions for the following jobs based on your recommended means of repair from above:1. Upper ball joints (both sides).
2. Lower ball joints (both sides).
3. Inner tie rods (Both sides)
4. Outer tie rods (Both sides)
5. Strut mount bushings (whatever the thing is called where strut mount bolts to lower control arm).Please include all torque specs, including wheel torque specs, and the number of work shop hours this job should take.I'll be doing the job when the parts come in, and I might need some guidance along the way, as usual.Many thanks, Ron! Hope you had a great Easter weekend!~ s
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/2/2018
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Give me a few moments to put these together for you and I will post them.

If the upper ball joint are junk then replace then but before you replace the lower ball joints Jeep has a recall on them and if there are bad they should be covered by Jeep. See the recall in the first link. I would have the lowers done first.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/03t2p5zndpt0flx/lower%20recall%20Apr%202.pdf?dl=0

For the upper see thse links.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e1fkx3dhjpaiose/Ball%20Install%20Apr%202.pdf?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ngpdh19gpx9757z/upper%20install%20Apr%202.pdf?dl=0

See the outer tie rods in these links.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gyur9o5p695antr/tie%20remove%20Apr%202.pdf?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k0lwwoeh66x0xqe/Tie%20install%20Apr%202.pdf?dl=0

Jeep is not offering any step for the inner tie rod so I would start with making sure they are even available. This may require having to replace the steering rack. The wheel lugs are torqued to 85 to 115 Ft-lbs,

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Thanks, ***** ***** like the dealer is unwilling to cover the recall for the car, unfortunately. That leaves me with fixing it. Here's what I've got. Bad upper and lower ball joints, bad outer tie rods, one leaking inner tie rod end (does that mean steering rack leak?), bad bushings where the strut mount bolts to the lower control arm (both sides). This is what I'm thinking:1. Replace lower ball joints (both sides) with standard press out and press in.
2. Replace upper ball joints by replacing upper control arm itself that comes with new ball joint (cheap aftermarket parts online, ...unless you think those are just crappy parts?).
3. Replace the bushings that connect the strut mount to the lower control arm.
4. Would replacing the inner tie rod, if I can fix the leak? or would I need to replace the whole steering rack?

If the rack is leakin at the seal then you will want to replace the rack. The leak if from the rack and replacing the tie rod is not going to fix this leak. Replacing the control arms is a much better way to go as well.

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Okay, thanks. What are the total shop hours for:1. Lower ball joints, both sides, upper control arms, both sides, outer tie rod ends, both sides, strut mount bushings, both sides?2. How many shop hours to add the steering rack to the job?

Lower ball joint for both sides calls for 1.5 hours.

Upper control arms, Left side is 1.6 and the right side is 1.3

Outer tie rods ends calls for .7 for both
.
Strut bushings call for 1.8 for both sides.

Steering gear calls for 2.2 on a 2X2 and 4.2 hours on a 4X4.

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Thx! I think I might have described one improperly. I think the strut one is called the "lower control bushing -- at strut fork" This thing, I think. http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/moog-k200258It's this thing in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tImIlkmcH4c. So, 3 hours (total time to complete both lower ball joints, 2.9 hours total time to do the upper control arms. 1.4 hours (total) to do both outer tie-rod ends... 2.2 hours total to do the steering rack, and then whatever the bushings are since I gave you the wrong part, I think?

The outer tie rod ends is only .7 and that included both sides. The rest of the time is correct as well as the lower bushing, its 1.8 hours to do both sides.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Ron, ASE Certified Technician