Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

No Spark. 2002 Grand Cherokee limited 4.0 2WD. Short story..

Customer Question
2002 Grand Cherokee limited...

2002 Grand Cherokee limited 4.0 2WD

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Grand Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?

Short story.. working on adjusting forward band on trans. bad adjustment... made it back to driveway. restarted got multiple errors relative to misfires and p320. Replaced Crankshaft sensor, error went away but no spark, can smell gass... got P340 error, replaced Cam pos sensor, no errors, still no start. replaced coil pack, no change, bought rebuild PCM, nothing, no codes.. no start

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the vehicle stall at low speeds? Does it sputter?

.... really.. it won't start at all

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Curious about the unit under the rear passenger side seat supposed to be I'm told to do with the ignition system.. have no idea

Submitted: 19 days ago.Category: Jeep
4/2/2018
Jeep Mechanic: Chris (aka-Moose), Technician replied 19 days ago
Chris (aka-Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• THE TIME I AM ONLINE, 7 days a week normally online around midday and then late evening until early morning.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website normally after my first reply. I complete calls where I feel it is a benefit.
  • UPLOADED LINKS I SEND, if I upload dropbox links, they will open on a home PC, often they fail on a work PC, on a phone use the box on the top right of your phone screen for direct download.

While scanning and cranking, is the ECM seeing a crank sensor signal near 200 rpms?

Customer reply replied 18 days ago
I'll have to try that later today after work. keep having to jump my Jeep as the battery is depleted. Someone mentioned the alternator may be bad, haven't checked that yet either. Assumed the battery with a charge should be able to keep the voltage high enough to start the engine. Have to setup my laptop (running TOAD Diagnostics). If that doesn't give me the option to see that signal, where would I check for signal? Thanks...
Customer reply replied 18 days ago
Also, already charged $ 26 for access to you. How does the charging go from there, do I have to pay another $26 to call you??
Jeep Mechanic: Chris (aka-Moose), Technician replied 18 days ago

Yes, there is another fee for a call since that is a different service.

If your tool can not monitor the CKP then we can do some wire testing with a DVOM.

Customer reply replied 18 days ago
My TOAD app does not allow me to monitor the CKP
Customer reply replied 18 days ago
which wire on the CKP harness do I test for sigal? Assuming the red one...
Need to find a paper clip... :-/
Customer reply replied 18 days ago
be back in a bit... have to go downgrade my rental...
Customer reply replied 18 days ago
Ok, going to suck it up and take it to the shop... don't have the diagnostic tools to properly isolate the problem and as much as I appreciate your time and talent. Spending too much time and money trying to figure this one out...

Best of luck

Chris
Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman