Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

I have a customer's jeep wrangler '97 that the gauges do not…

Customer Question
I have a customer's...

I have a customer's jeep wrangler '97 that the gauges do not work. All of the working lights work but the odometer doesn't work either, I've check both hots and the ground, as well as the ccb continuity

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

The brake lights, airbag light, ect, all the warning lights come on and the off as normal

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Wrangler yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, and I already said what I tries so far

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Jeep
4/1/2018
Jeep Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 3 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

It's possible that you could have multiple problems involving the different gauges and some deeper testing may be required, but you do have a bad instrument cluster at the least. If the odometer is inoperative that can only be caused by an internal failure in the cluster. If all issues started at the same time then replacing the cluster should take care of them.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

I'm going to send some screen shots from another Tech if that's alright. He wasn't much help, the cluster is fine, the odometer functions, just miles don't change since the speedo is inop

I'm not concerned with another's discussion.

So the odometer does actually work and shows mileage?

What specific gauges are not working?

None.
Volt, speedo, oil, tach, water temp, fuel

Why do you believe the cluster is good?

I swapped it with a known good one, I also swapped the pcm with another jeep.

What are the bus voltages at the PCM and instrument cluster?

Ground is fine but I've nothing on buss b+, I went as far as to cut the buss wires at pcm and cluster, and ran new jumper wires directly and same result.

Did you get my message? You just sent the same thing

Because you didn't answer the question. I'm looking for the actual voltage readings on both wires at both locations, not an interpretation that may be incorrect.