Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

ABS started braking my 2016 Jeep Patriot while I was on the…

Customer Question
ABS started braking my...

ABS started braking my 2016 Jeep Patriot while I was on the highway. Intermittent braking that lasted less than a minute but the ABS light and skid light came on and stayed on.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is it just the ABS light? Or is the brake system warning light on, too?

Just the ABS light

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Patriot yourself? What have you tried so far?

Haven't tried anything. Called a dealership and they said they don't know when I asked if it was safe to drive

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's it

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Jeep
3/30/2018
Jeep Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 3 months ago
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

Did the lights stay on?

I just want to know if it's safe to drive

I​f one of tires are low or wheel speed sensors are failing it can cause the problem. The abs module monitors wheel speed sensor data, if one of the sensors are not matching the others the vehicle things it is sliding out of control and activates the stability control. I would recommend bringing it to shop asap to get his figured out as vehicle is not as safe as it should be to drive. If you need to stop suddenly and abs kicks in this could prevent vehicle from stopping as quick as it should. You could remove the abs fuse from fuse box under hood which would disable the abs/traction control and that would make it safer to drive until you get a chance to get it fixed. I'd expect around a $400 repair depending on what problem ends up being. My goal is to provide 5 star service so please let me know if you have any questions, thanks.