Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

My 97 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo starts with no problems but…

Customer Question
My 97 Jeep Grand...

My 97 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo starts with no problems but will not drive forward and it reverses sometimes but not all the time

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

Yes checked no corroded

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Grand Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?

Transmission fluid transfer pump and took fluid out because dipstick was reading high so I took all fluid out and replaced with a new bottle and a half so idk if I didn't put enough or what

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

When I put it in the different gears it revs but doesn't do anything

Submitted: 20 days ago.Category: Jeep
3/30/2018
Jeep Mechanic: Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician replied 20 days ago
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech of over 40 years experience here to help. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your patience and input to my questions so I can help you better.I have read your notes and have a question before we proceed.

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
Ok what is that ?
Customer reply replied 20 days ago
I'm better with the written so I can follow the steps one by one. My muffler runs loud and there is like a swishing noise coming from under the hood when I hit the gas but the truck just revs and doesn't go anywhere
Customer reply replied 20 days ago
My truck has 180376 on the dash

All gears go through the front clutches so we need to do some checks first to eliminate things. I will send a chart for you to compare your fluid with , as well as smell it to see if it smells burnt. The other two things that need to be done is to check line pressures then drop the pan and check for any metallic fillings. This will tell us about the health of the mechanical parts are in the trans.

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
Ok ok I'm about to open the attachment now. The fluid in the truck right now is brand new because I just used the fluid transfer pump to pump out all old fluids and replaced them but the fluids that I just took out look like the first one in your rebuild section. What does that mean ?
Customer reply replied 20 days ago
I have a mechanic coming out to drop the pan and check the line pressure for me because idk how to do that lol. Thank you for your help and I will let you know how it goes from there. Thanks and have a nice rest of your day
Jeep Mechanic: Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician replied 18 days ago

If if shows in the rebuild section then the trans is pooched as the clutches have been slipping. To further add to your suspicions I would drop the pan and look for any metallic fragments, this will also tell you if it's worth rebuilding or replacing. At the age of your vehicle for the cost of things I would try and find a good used one and do a proper flush to start off , that is using a flush machine to totally flush and fill with new fluid. Hope this gives you a better idea of what's ahead.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know. In the process of helping you I will use sources from all different places that I feel fit and to the point that will speed up my help for you. This may include links, videos, shop notes and procedures as well as my own personal experience of over 40 yrs in the trade.

Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician