Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

My firing order is off. 1994 jeep grand cherokee laredo. I…

Customer Question
My firing order is...

My firing order is off

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Jeep?

1994 jeep grand cherokee laredo

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Grand Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, i replaced the spark plugs bt lost the correct order

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? When was the last time the plugs were changed?

Dont know just brought it

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Transmission slightly slips

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Jeep
3/29/2018
Jeep Mechanic: Ron Z., - Jeep Tech - replied 2 months ago
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Jeep Tech -

Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer. Thanks for coming! I'm Ron and I'll be working with you on your question today.

Does your Jeep have the 6-cylinder or the 8-cylinder engine?

6

Great! Thank-you! Please give me one moment to get that firing order to you. Sit tight one minute... I'll be right back!

6 cylinder

Thanks for holding!

You can view the firing order in this image: https://goo.gl/G6tkWa

Please be kind enough to leave a rating for our Q&A using the 'stars' at the top of the page or click 'Accept' when I have answered all your questions. A 5-star rating is very much appreciated! Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra.

do i follow the numbers up top or inside the figure

Inside the figure. The big rectangle is the engine. The circle is the distributor. Set 1-to-1, 2-to-2, 3-to-3, etc

Were there any other questions I could help you with today?

Its connected right but not firing up

Check you spark plug gap: 0.035 in

Check that the cap and rotor are set correctly.

Make sure your plug wires are tight.

Is a certain wire suppose to go to a number

No. As long as the wire reaches from distributor to spark plug, it's good. No specific wire needs to be in any specific spot.

nothing working and it was working before this

If it just happened after spark plug replacement, like I say, double-check the gaps on the plugs. Has to be somewhere in the plugs or wires if it was fine before the replacement.

its turning over just not starting

Did you plug the center wire to the ignition coil?

because i couldnt get that piece off

While cranking the engine, remove the spark plug wire from spark plug #1 and hold it near the plug. Is there good, strong spark jumping from the wire to plug?

take the wired off of #1 spark plug bt leave the wire close to it and then crank it

Correct. There should be a visible spark coming from the plug wire jumping to the plug.

No now its not doin nothing

I don't understand. No cranking at all now? Won't even turn over?

When i rehooked it yes
No spark

Ok. If you have no spark, the ignition coil has failed and will need to be replaced. Carefully inspect the electrical connector and wire harness to the coil for any loose, broken or damaged wires. If no problems are found, replace the ignition coil.

Is you talking bout the thing thats inside the distibor
All the wires are connected

No. The ignition coil is the box-type unit on the side of the distributor. The center wire on the distributor cap goes to it. Here's an image view: https://goo.gl/LXt42f

thats the piece i couldnt get off

Ok. If you have no spark, that's the reason. As long as the electrical connector and wire harness are good, the coil has failed and will need to be replaced.

Would it be alright to just hook the new one up to see if it starts but i cant secure it

No. It needs to be mounted.

Im saying to to see if it works

I believe for the coil to work correctly, it needs to be mounted to the engine.

Im about to see if i can get it off

Sounds good. Unfortunately, I'm clocking out for the day in about 15 minutes. So if you reply and I don't get back to you tonight, it will be first thing in the morning. Please remember to leave a rating for our Q&A using the stars at the top of the page at some point.

HI! I noticed this Q&A was still open and you did not leave a rating, so I wanted to check in and see if there was anything else I could do for you on this? Any other questions you had? If you have no further questions, Please be kind enough to leave a rating for our Q&A using the 'stars' at the top of the page.

I was able to change to ignition coil bt its stil not starting

You'll need to re-check for spark with the new coil in place like you did above- remove #1 plug wire and crank engine. If still no spark, there is a problem in the wiring to the coil. If spark is now good, check fuel pressure.