Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

2015 Jeep Compass Latitude-lights on the steering wheel go…

2015 Jeep Compass Latitude-lights...

2015 Jeep Compass Latitude-lights on the steering wheel go off and on, the horn does not work when lights are off, the seat belt light for the driver's side with the airbag symbol goes off and on even when seatbelt is plugged in for driving. Also the check engine light will not go out.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

Which light?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Compass yourself? What have you tried so far?

No, it has happened since the jeep went to the body shop to fix the rear quarter panel was smashed in when a truck on our highway lost a duo tire and rim and it came across our yard and hit the jeep in the driveway.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The body shop cut out and welded a new quarter panel in and then this started,

3/28/2018
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

It sounds like your clockspring is failing. The clockspring is a winding of wire that goes behind steerin wheel to connect wires to switches, horn, and airbag which would explain all of the problems you are having. This is about a $600 job to have done at a shop depending on where you go. My goal is to provide 5 star service so please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help, thanks

What can be do

You will need to have the clockspring replaced which is about a $600 job at a shop. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

I meant what can we do to check this wire?

You will need to remove clockspring and check resistance to see if it shows open, if so then replace. If you check codes with a scantool and it says drivers side airbag this would also be enough evidence to just replace clockspring without doing resistance test. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

I am on social security and can not pay for a call right now at the end of the month.

That is website automatically offering phone call, I prefer chat anyway. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

Could the clockspring have been damaged when the jeep was in the body shop?

N​o, I think it is just a coincidence. I can't think of anything that shop could have done that would have caused this problem. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

Thank you for your assistance. We will try the scan and I will let you know how that goes.

No problem, I'm happy to help. You have usually have codes checked for free at your local parts store. You can reply to this answer at any time without additional fees so make sure to let me know if you need anything. Thanks again and have a great day.

Dan, Technician
Thank and you also have a great day. Happy Easter.

Thanks, ***** ***** you. Keep me updated.