Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

I left my car running keys inside car so my husband could…

Customer Question
I left my car...

I left my car running keys inside car so my husband could immediately use the car. It locked behind me. its running we can't open it!

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Has this ever happened before?

Never happened before, I have no idea how many miles, a lot

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Jeep?

I think a 2011 jeep Cherokee

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am alone at home its in my driveway. I am not fixing anything just want to open the car door lock?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, please just need to know how to open a running jeep keys inside

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Jeep
3/27/2018
Jeep Mechanic: Edward, Service Technician replied 3 months ago
Edward
Edward, Service Technician

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help. Do you have a slim jim by chance? or a spare key somewhere? if not, do you have triple A by chance? They have a lock out policy in their insurance and will come by and pick the lock for you. If not, wooden wedge can be used to pry the door away from the top of the body, and then you can get a coat hanger in between the door frame and the body of the vehicle. I've had some success with that. A dealer can cut you a key from the VIN number that will open the door but not start the vehicle. But I know you don't want to wait that long. I would try a wedge at the top of the door, but lay a rag between the door and the body so you don't mess up the paint any.

no slim jim or extra key, yes AAA

Alright, call AAA and politely tell them it's an emergency, they should be able to get in it. That is going to be your best option at this time in my opinion.

Also, I would stop by a dealer, have them cut a plain metal key, and hide it and zip tie it to the jeep under neath somewhere, or put it in a magnetic box somewhere and stick it under the jeep, so you always will have a key in the event of an emergency. Let us know if you have any further questions. Thank you.