Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

2011 grand Cherokee limited. Power litigate is stuck ipen. I…

Customer Question
2011 grand Cherokee limited. ...

2011 grand Cherokee limited.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Grand Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?

Power litigate is stuck ipen

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I had opened the power liftgate then I disconnected the battery to work on something.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?

When I reconnected the battery, the liftgate won't close

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Jeep
3/27/2018
Jeep Mechanic: Pete, Technician replied 3 months ago
Pete, Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

Have you tried to close it manually at all to see if it closes then?In some cases, you have to close it manually for it to learn its closed position.Then open it manually to learn its open position and see if it works then.If this is or was already tried and did not work let me know.If you are unable to close it manually let me know as well.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

The power liftgate doesn't seem to close manually. It's stuck open. When I push the button to close it, I get an audio alarm, like 4 quick beeps.
On the dash display, it shows the icon for open liftgate

What has happened is since it was open when you disconnected the battery it caused the power lift gate computer to lose its memory positions of where the liftgate is at at its fully open and closed positions.This is why you get the beeps.

It has to be relearned with a scan tool plugged into your vehicles data port if you are unable to close it manually at all.The scan tool will force close it and learn in the closed position as well as force open it to learn in the open position.Once this is done then it will operate properly from there.

What you can try to do is remove the fuse J2 ( 30 amp ) in the under hood fuse panel for 5 minutes then reinstall it to reset the learning again.Then see if it closes and opens.If this does not work through then the relearn has to be done with a compatible scan tool or computer plugged into your vehicles data port that can perform this relearn procedure.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time, this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5-star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Pulling the J2 fuse for 10 minutes didn't fix the issue.
I'll have to take the Jeep to the mechanic.

Yeah, that's the only manual reset I know of when you cannot close it manually.It looks a like a forced closed will have to be done with a compatible scan tool or computer plugged into your vehicles data port.

Thanks Pete