Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

I can not get my park brake to release. 2014 Trail Hawk.

I can not get...

I can not get my park brake to release

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Jeep?

2014 Trail Hawk

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

When I first got into my car the Service Park Brake warning came on. I made a stop, for back into the vehicle and now the warning is on and the Park brake will not release. So I am stuck trying to figure it out. I tired the Service Mode to release the park and it would not work either.

Mechanic's Assistant: How old are the tires? And have they been a problem in the past?

Just put new tires on in December and haven’t had any issues until today

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That should be everything

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/26/2018
Brad
Brad, Jeep Dealership Tech

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!!! I'm reading your question and will post a reply soon. Thank you for your patience.

Your EPB(Electric Parking Brake) switch should be right below the shifter.. To release the parking brake start the vehicle and with your foot on your brake press the switch down and tell me what happens...

Talk soon,

Brad

Electric Parking Brake Switch

To apply the parking brake manually, pull up on the switch momentarily. You may hear a slight whirring sound from the back of the vehicle while the parking brake engages. Once the parking brake is fully engaged, the BRAKE warning lamp in the instrument cluster and an indicator on the switch will illuminate. If your foot is on the brake pedal while you apply the parking brake, you may notice a small amount of brake pedal movement. The park brake can be applied even when the ignition switch is OFF but the BRAKE warning lamp will not illuminate, however, it can only be released when the ignition switch is in the ON/RUN position.

NOTE: The EPB fault lamp will illuminate if the EPB switch is held for longer than 20 seconds in either the released or applied position. The light will extinguish upon releasing the switch.

If the Auto Park Brake feature is enabled, the parking brake will automatically engage whenever the transmission is placed into PARK, or with a manual transmission, when the ignition switch is turned OFF. Once the parking brake is engaged, the BRAKE warning lamp in the instrument cluster and the LED indicator on the switch will illuminate. If your foot is on the brake pedal, you may notice a small amount of brake pedal movement while the parking brake is engaging.

The parking brake will release automatically when the ignition switch is ON, the transmission is in Drive or Reverse, the driver seat belt is buckled, and an attempt is made to drive away.

To release the park brake manually, the ignition switch must be in the ON/RUN position. Put your foot on the brake pedal, then push the parking brake switch down momentarily. You may hear a slight whirring sound from the back of the car while the parking brake disengages. You may also notice a small amount of movement in the brake pedal. Once the parking brake is fully disengaged, The BRAKE warning lamp in the instrument cluster and the LED indicator on the switch will extinguish.

NOTE: When parking on a hill, it is important to turn the front wheels toward the curb on a downhill grade and away from the curb on an uphill grade. Apply the parking brake before placing the shift lever in PARK, otherwise the load on the transmission locking mechanism may make it difficult to move the shift lever out of PARK. The parking brake should always be applied whenever the driver is not in the vehicle.

I tried all these things. The only way I was able to get the park brake to release was to disconnect the negative terminal on the battery and have everything reset. Do you know what could be causing this?

You will need to bring it into us(Dealership) and let us update the parking brake software..

If your not familiar with how JustAnswer works, You ask a question, I try and give you the best answer I can and then you leave a positive rating so I get credit for helping.. I strive for excellent ratings and greatly appreciate all bonuses.. Feel free to reply back as many times as needed until your issues is resolved...

Feel free to request me in the future for all your Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep needs..

Take care,

Brad

Brad
Brad, Jeep Dealership Tech