Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

2012 Jeep Liberty liftgate window hinges. One hinge is

broken and the window is...
2012 Jeep Liberty liftgate window hinges. One hinge is broken and the window is sagging. I ordered new set of hinges. Are there any tricks to changing the hinges, without accidently breaking the (expensive) glass.
3/26/2018
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

Ok, directions are attached for you. As to tips on not breaking the glass, first have a helper that can hold the glass steady as you unbolt the hinges from the body and then reinstall it to prevent the glass from twisting. Second, the bolt holding the glass to the hinge is only on at 90inch lbs, which is 7.5 ft lbs. This is barely hand tight. So do NOT think you have to torque down on that bolt or it will shatter the glass there.

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating
Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you
Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.

forgot to attach directions. here they are

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Thanks for noting not to over- tighten the glass side bolt.
Can I safely replace the hinges with the liftgate and glass in the up or "opened" posiion?
Are there any epoxies under the glass hinge?

HI,

I would not advise trying to replace them while still on the vehicle unless you have a couple of helpers to hold both sides perfectly still. The least little bit of twisting will break the glass. To me, not worth the chance.

There is not any epoxy under the glass. If you clean the glass with any glass cleaner, you could have some residue built up. Pour a little rubbing alcohol over and around the hinge on the glass just to make sure there is no residue acting as a gumming agent

Unless you have a further question on this, please click the OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE 3 STARS OR HIGHER to pay for services rendered per your customer agreement as this is a PAYSITE and experts are not paid for their time, services, or knowledge until you do so. Thank you.

Please note that your expert pays for requested directions out of pocket for your benefit. Failure to give a positive rating means that the expert will no longer be able to provide this service at substantial savings to you

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Thanks for the advise. Great information.
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager