Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

It wont start, when i open my door the lights come on inside…

Customer Question
It wont start...

It wont start, when i open my door the lights come on inside as normal but once i put the key into the ignition switch and turn to start all the lights come off inside and does not start it doesnt do anything but once i take the key out of the ignition the lights all come back on inside

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? Have you checked the door switches?

The door switches work , i can open and lock doors with the power buttons, are you talking about the fuse box inside the jeep ?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Jeep?

2002 jeep grande cherokee

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Grand Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, just bought a new battery , took the battery back to autozone and its fully charged so they said the alternator is good as well

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

How would i know if its not the starter ?

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Jeep
3/26/2018
Jeep Mechanic: Chris (aka-Moose), Technician replied 3 months ago
Chris (aka-Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• THE TIME I AM ONLINE, 7 days a week normally online around midday and then late evening until early morning.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website normally after my first reply. I complete calls where I feel it is a benefit.
  • UPLOADED LINKS I SEND, if I upload dropbox links, they will open on a home PC, often they fail on a work PC, on a phone use the box on the top right of your phone screen for direct download.

Do you own a volt meter so we can figure out this electrical issue?

no
no sir

Without a way to test, all I can do is guess, and that is not a good answer, I assume you would agree.

what do you think the problem might be

Will the headlights work, and do they remain on and bright when trying to start?

headlights work but when i try to start they turn off and when i turn key back to take out of ignition the lights work again

The best I can do without being able to test. I feel like you have enough voltage from the battery but there is a poor connection somewhere not allowing that voltage to get to the car when there is a large electrical load like battery cables that have corrosion at there connection to the frame, and engine or at the fuse box. We could make so much progress with a cheapo volt ohm meter.

You now will see a rating scale 1=bad to-5=excellent because I have posted a full or partial answer instead of an info request. When you rate I get a portion of the deposit you made, no rating means you still paid, but I earn nothing. My goal is understanding your question, and addressing it in full detail. In return, receiving a 5-star rating. Rating does not close the post or stop the conversation. Please keep in contact and reply as much as needed. Thanks, Chris

i was told that it could be the ignition switch itself, what do you think

The ignition switch cannot cause the headlights to turn off when trying to start.

what about the stater could it be that

I doubt that as well. I stand by my prior comments on it being a poor wire connection not allowing voltage from the battery to get to the cars fuse box under load.

what should i do

I would check the battery cable connections at the opposite ends of the battery or purchase a voltmeter and we can diagnose the issue and find it.

i am going to purchase a voltmeter , get back to you sir

Super, nothing extravagant. Just one that is digital. They start in the 30$ range.

good afternoon Moose, what is the 1st thing to test once i get home with this voltmeter ?

Let's wait till you get home with it so we can see what the buttons and dial looks like on your model. You need to get familiar with how to use one first. So some videos from you tube on DC voltage testing and OHM testing would help.

ok sounds great, get back to you soon, Have A Great Day Moose !!!!!!

Thanks

Hello, Chris here again,

I am checking in to make sure you got everything you expected from my response. If any part of my response is unclear, please let me know. It’s my goal to deliver excellent service, so if I've done that, please don't forget to give me a 5-star rating.You can still reply. I want to make sure you were pleased with what you paid for.

Thanks Chris