Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

The check gauges light is coming on and the voltage meter…

Customer Question
The check gauges light...

The check gauges light is coming on and the voltage meter for my battery drops to zero. This happens every couple of days. I think it could be either the alternator regulator or the security shut off mode

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the battery look like it's leaking? And does it have a strong smell -- like sulfur?

No battery is good, cells are good, when disconnected it still reads at 12.48 volts.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '12 Jeep?

Its 1999 Cherokee Sport

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?

I took it to a shop and they said they fixed it by replacing/grounding somewires, but 2 days later I was dead on the side of the road again. so i am working on it myself. i replaced all the fuses. I had the battery and alternator tested. I replaced the crankshaft, and spark ignition kit.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The vehicle will run fine at 14 volts for a couple of days, then the light will dim, engine will lose power, voltage gauge will start to drop, vehicle will run with gauge at zero for a few miles, then then I'm stalled and stuck.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Jeep
3/22/2018
Jeep Mechanic: Edward, Service Technician replied 3 months ago
Edward
Edward, Service Technician

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

Did they replace the alternator by chance?

Thank you. What information do you need from me?

It really sounds like it isn't charging when you check gauges light comes on. That is when we need to check alternator output.

Did they replace the alternator?

I'm told the alternator is good and does not need to be replaced

But, it's not charging at times, If the alternator is good, then there must be a connectivity issue, I would like to check resistance from the large charging wire at the back of the alternator directly to the positive battery terminal. Do you have a digital volt ohm meter by chance? I agree the alternator is good when it's charging, it's when it's not charging as when I would like to check the voltage at the charging terminal at the alternator and see then if it's charging at 14.5 volts, It could be charging at the alternator but not making it back to the battery. it sounds like they are chasing a bad ground or connectivity issue, but it also could be the alternator itself intermittently acting up.

just replaced the terminal and it split !!
How do i locate the bad ground, or bad connection?

interesting. what terminal? can you upload a photo maybe? thank you.

it really needs to be acting up, but one way to try and isolate it is this, get a pair of jumper cables, and when it's acting up, take the postiive jumper cables straight from the alternator positive charging wire and run it right to the positive on the battery, take the negative jumper cable from the battery negative terminal and put it right on the engine block, and see if it starts charging then, what you essentially doing there is substituting known good wires for battery and alternator connections. If that does fix it, then I would put new battery cables on it. if it didn't fix it, then I would have to diagnose the charging circuit to the alternator to make sure it definitely was the alternator first, but that is what I suspect that could cause it. Does that help answer your question? thanks.