Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

In a nutshell, I have a clunking sound, and I am having

difficulties to find it. I...
In a nutshell, I have a clunking sound, and I am having difficulties to find it. I have checked under the hood, more specifically the suspension, and the clunk continues. Please, see all details below to avoid wasting time. Please, be a Jeep Patriot expert.Customer: I finally inspected my lower control arms (left and right). I used a short pry bar to test the bushings. This is what I was able to see after I elevated each wheel in the air to relieve the pressure caused by the weight of the vehicle:Jeep Mechanic
Did you check the CV axle nuts in the wheel hub? This is a common issue if they are loose when you switch from reverse to drive it will clunk if they are loose.. I would torque it to 180 ft/lbs and retest to see if it resolves your noise..15 March 2018 04:02
Customer: I did not remove the wheels. I would have to remove the wheels, correct? Also, the noise never occurs when switching from reverse to first gear. Now, I remember that when I flushed the power steering fluid and turned the wheels lock to lock several times, I had the 2008 Patriot on two jacks (one jack on each side), but one jack (the Patriot's) was higher than the other jack. Could this have had any relationship with the clunking noise I am now hearing?16 March 2018 04:43
Customer: I have tightened the CV joints axle nuts to specifications. I have to consult you about the following:
Although there is no apparent free play when I raise the left front tire, after removing the left front tire and using a pry bar to inspect the lower control arm bushi5, only one of them is very slnightly squeaky. I don't know if this is normal or it should be replaced. It does not seem to be damaged. What would be my best course of action in this case? This is all about the clunking noise I contacted you about yesterday.19 March 2018 02:33
Customer: I have checked the control arms. I have torqued both CV axle nuts to 180 ft/lbs. Unfortunately, the noise is still there. Something interesting is that is only heard once when I accelerate and the next time is heard only when I step on the brakes. Once the noise is heard after an initial acceleration, I can accelerate as much as I want and nothing is heard. Only when I step on the brakes will I hear the noise again... And vice versa
Any suggestions at this point?
3/23/2018
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

Any suspension or steering component could cause a clunk but the most common on this vehicle would be sway bar links and lower ball joints if the noise is coming from the front.

Does the noise happen over bumps?

No. The noise happens once when I accelerate. Once more only when I step moderately sharply on the brakes. Interestingly, after accelerating and hearing the clunk, I never hear the clunk again regardless of how many time I accelerate. To hear the clunk after the initial acceleration, I can only mak w the clunk happen again by stepping on the brakes. By the same token, after I step on the brakes and hear the clunk, I can step on the brakes pedal as many times as I want and I will not hear the clunk unless I accelerate sharply again. It seems there is an alnertating pattern of acceleration and brake pedals to produce the clunk. What an enigma.

I assume the noise comes from the front?

It comes from the front. My Jeep has a front wheel drive manual transmission.

Have the lower ball joints been checked? If so, how?

I tried to pry them to check for free play. I also grabbed the wheels at the 3 and 9 o'clock position and tries to check for free play. Both wheels are tight. I repeated the process at the 12 and 6 o'clock position. The wheels are also tight.

Did the noise start after any repairs, an accident, etc?

I changed the power steering fluid. I also changed the transmission fluid. No accidents.

There are quite a few places the noise could be coming from.

You can go over all suspension fasteners and make sure they are tight. You can also look for witness marks around all bolt heads which would indicate movement.

Given the symptoms and the ball joints being tight, I would first suspect a loose control arm bushing, a loose motor or trans mount.

The picture is showing the crossmember mount rather than the engine and trans mounts, but it does appear that the mount bushing is ripped.

Nothing can be seen wrong in the pictures but you need to be physically moving the mounts, tie rod ends and ball joints to check for play.

I will go ahead and do that.

Ok.

sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
I found the cause of the problem. Here is what happened. I attached a hitch extender a while ago, to the hitch extender I attached an Sam's Club Ericson hitch-connected steel cargo carrier. I situated all my heavy tool boxes inside the cargo carrier. As a result, the Jeep --due to the weight in the cargo carrier-- was much lower in the rear wheels area than in the front wheels area. I believe now that due to Jeep being so much lighter in the front, the exhaust pipe come closer to the car's body and when accelerating or decelerating, it would produce the clunk. I test-drove the Jeep after re-distributing the weight (I put my heaviest toolboxes inside the trunk area. I drove it around the block and the noise, at least yesterday evening, was gone. I will keep you posted if it ever returns. Thank you for your support.