Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

Vapor lock after it sits for a while, hard to start with…

Vapor lock after it...

Vapor lock after it sits for a while, hard to start with rough idel until new fuel gets in there

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the rough idle intermittent or consistent?

Well more persistent when going from cool weather to hot weather, that is 40 in morning to 80 in afternoon

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 80 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I do not turn tools anymore, the engine has 367,000 miles on it and runs well except for this issue

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I just need direction, i have insulated the fuel rail and injectors and this helped for a while

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/22/2018
Canuck Tech
Canuck Tech, Technician

Hi there - year and model and engine size of your jeep?

2001 Cherokee, 4L

This one isn't too tough.

Returnless fuel system. Pressure is most likely bleeding down through the fuel pump check valve. Drop the tank, replace the pump / fuel level sender / regulator assembly.

Also a possibility of leaking injectors at this mileage.

When the fuel pressure drops on a hot engine, fuel vaporizes in the rail. Because it is a returnless system, the fuel vapor has to go through the injectors, in order to get liquid fuel to the injectors.

Black spark plugs on one or two cylinders could be an indicator of a leaking injector(s)

If the oil level increases in the crankcase, leaking injector for sure

Hope that helps. Please close up the question, and rate my service. Regards, Canuck

Canuck Tech
Canuck Tech, Technician

Thank you for trusting Just Answer with your Automotive questions. Canuck