Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

Transmission will not down shift after a few minutes driving…

transmission will not down...
transmission will not down shift after a few minutes driving and locks up and stalls when stopping. then restart and will lunge and stall when put in drive. 1994 grand cherokee larado 4x4 5.2v8. changed the brake switch and no difference.
3/22/2018
Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman

Hello and welcome to just answer. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you today.

The problem you are having is with the transmission's torque converter. It is a lock up style torque converter and is getting stuck in the lock up mode. That is why it stalls and lunges.

It is like driving a manual transmission and forgetting to step on the clutch when coming to a stop.

flushed and changed filter no change. replaced brake switch no change. what is the next step

I have seen this before, and replacing the torque converter and flushing out the transmission will take care of this.

If you already flushed it, then just have the torque converter replaced,

Chris

should I start by trying to replace the shift solnoid first?

Well you can certainly try that, but 9 times out of 10 it is the torque converter itself. (I am a shop foreman at a Jeep dealer). But if you want to try the solenoid first, then you have my blessing so to speak.

Chris

Chris

will a used trans come with a torque converter or would you just do the torque converter. has over 200,000 miles on it

A used trans can come with or without one, so if you do get a good used one, be sure that it will come with it. That is probably a good move to install a good used one actually.

Chris

Chris

Hello? were you able to see my last reply regarding a used transmission?

Chris

Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman

Thank you! I will keep this session open for a few days just in case you have any follow up questions.

Chris