Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

I'm going to buy a new Jeep Rubicon Unlimited and I need to…

Hi, I'm going to buy...
Hi, I'm going to buy a new Jeep Rubicon Unlimited and I need to decide between 3.73 and the 4.10 axle ratios.I plan on upgrading the tires to 35s with only occasional light off-roading.Is the 3.73 ok?
3/21/2018
Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech

Hello, I am Randall. I am working on answering your question now, Please allow me a few min to reply. Meantime? you may see a popup for phone call, I do NOT send this, the system does, I would prefer to keep in chat/email however, at times a call may help. I can not send files or diagrams via phone so lets start out in chat/email and go from there. Back shortly, Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sounds good.

Is your off roading real high inclines or just kind of general off roading? and will you be towing anything at anytime?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
to both. I drive in the hills regularly so some steep inclines. Only rare towing of the occasional UHAUL trailer, nothing more than 2000 to 2500 lbs max. Off roading is driving out to the fishing hole, no rock crawling or extreme stuff.

Got it. Please allow me a few minutes to send some information back, Back shortly

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks!

Ok, you may? be aware that base options and upgrades on this vehicle can be confusing., 3.73 is a standard offer but some sheets show the 4.10 as standard option. To me? you would be near 100% fine with 3.73 gearing for what I read you want to do., The problem with 4.10? it take engine RPM a good bit higher at same speed, This to me and others? puts that much more wear and tear on engine and..... at same time? you gas mileage will fall a good bit. If you were towing heavier than you may? or doing serious offroading/climbing? I would say go to the 4.10. If it is NOT a base option on one you are looking at? then go with the 3.73 to save some money, gas money and you will still be able to do everything you want, 4.10? higher revs? higher towing? mountain towing? rockclimbing? go with the 4.10. In summary . 3.73 is a fine choice and well around gear ratio

Please rate my service provided using the rating stars on your page.
Rating now doe NOT close this post.
You can still come back to me after leaving a rating for me.
This is only for JA to track my service, Thanks. Randall

Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Randall C
Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech