Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

Well we just got a99 Cherokee when my mom passed and the oil…

Customer Question
Well we just got...

Well we just got a99 Cherokee when my mom passed and the oil hadn't been changed it needed some attention. So we changed the oil the PVC valve and it will crank but not start unless jumped when it starts it is loud smoke comes out of the air intake valve on top of engine and blows oil into the air intake filter. Then cuts off doesn't idle

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuel supply? And are all the spark plugs working?

We took thermostat of due to fluctuating

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Cherokee?

99

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes boyfriend is changing oil, PVC valve taking air filter out and cleaning it and took to of engine off cleaned it

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

It makes a loud nose coming from where the air filter runs into the engine it's like a little flap thing metal when he would press the gas pedal it would doing like something knocking around in it, thinking could be fuel pump No we have it hooked to jump cables and won't start

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Jeep
3/20/2018
Jeep Mechanic: David Craig, Auto Mechanic replied 4 months ago
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** I'll be more than happy to assist you, Please allow me a few minutes to review your information. Thank you.

So right now its not starting even with a jump?

Not right now it has been
I don't understand we changed the oil, PVC valve, too Thermostat off
What would cause the white smoke, and the right running and knocking noises,e oil being spewed into the air intake house and filter

piston rings or valve seals

does it try to start?

it tries it don't start but turns over
You can call or text me at(###) ###-####
That way if you call I can let you hear what it's doing

it not starting is the least of your worries. the oil is the main concern. you are going to need to do a compression test.

How do I do that
We changed the oil 3 days ago

you need a compression test gauge. how long had the vehicle been sitting?

2 days
This all happened within a couple days time. And all later my mom passed away two weeks ago
Im broke down at the gas station I don't have a compression gauge
We have someone trying to jump us it's turning over but it sounds like it isn't spinning fast enough or something

how old is the battery?

Just replaced the battery last weekend as well

is the rpm needle moving when you try to start the car?

No sir

but the engine is cranking correct?

it's turning over but not starting
I wish I could send you audio clip of what it sounds like

ok if the rpm needle isn't moving then the crankshaft position sensor if failing.

or it may be covered in oil

what size engine? 4.0?

6 cylinder I think and where is the sensor located and what does it look like
How would I tell if it's 6/4 cylinder

it will say 4.0 or 2.5 on a sticker under the hood

sensor

4.0

ok i sent you a pic of where the sensor is

when I locate the sensor what do I do from there

make sure its not covered in oil, make sure the wiring to it isnt damaged and all that is ok. replace it

Ok I located it and it does have oil on the outside of it. After I replace that if it's still doing the same thing what else could be issue

just let me know

Ok I just going the sensor now I got to figure a way to get it off. How much do they run
Okay question do the sensor would that make the Jeep last in switching gears, and smoke from intake and shoot oil into the intake filter
How do you rest compression.

thats a total different issue about the oil

Really ugh okay well what would make it last in shifting gears after we got it to crank earlier

to test compression you get a compression gauge then you remove the spark plugs. you screw the gauge in the spark plug hole and then you crank the engine 5-6 cycles. see what the gauge reads and write it down then move on to the next cylinder

what about shifting gears?

Jeep Mechanic: David Craig, Auto Mechanic replied 3 months ago

hows it going?