Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

I can't seem to get a ohm reading from my shit solenoids I…

Customer Question
I can't seem to...

I can't seem to get a ohm reading from my shit solenoids I think the wiring is mesed up

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked all the fuses? Do you have a wiring diagram?

I checked fuse under the hood and I found digrams but non that show the 7 pin connector near the dipstick

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Jeep?

97 grand cherokee select a trac

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Grand Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes and so far I have got it to go in to drive but not shift thru the gears

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Jeep
3/20/2018
Jeep Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 1 month ago
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

Is the check engine light on? If so, do you know what codes you are getting?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Check engine light is not on

So vehicle wont shift out of 1st?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am trying to check the ohm reading for the shift solenoids from the seven pin connector by the trans dip stick. From what I have read in the top row of three pins the middle is the ground so that is the first reading I check and I am not even getting a reading of resistance from it so I think the wiring may be shorted out somewere. Also the car should be off when I do this correct?

Vehicle should be shut off, usually if problem is shift solenoid the check engine light will be on. What engine do you have?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Straight 6. AMD yes check engine light should be on so that's why I think the wires may be messed up somewere because the engine was rebuild by previous owner

G​ive me a few minutes and I'll give you wire diagrams and tell you what wires to use to check solenoid resistance. Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok

At the solenoid assembly the light blue wire should have power with key on. To check resistance of solenoids you will want to access wires at transmission connector. Then check resistance between light blue wire and brown wire for overdrive solenoid, light blue wire and pink wire for pressure control solenoid, light blue wire and dark green/light blue wire for torque converter solenoid. Here is a wiring diagram. If you are able to get readings then next thing I'd do is check codes even if light isn't coming on. If no codes and you are getting power to solenoids then I'd replace the valve body. My goal is to provide 5 star service so please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help, thanks

-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u5z66vp81o6kapz/ss.pdf?dl=0

The governor pressure sensor and solenoid are also common to cause shifting problems on this transmission so that may be worth replacing.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok and so the connector directly on the transmission

T​hat is correct, let me know if you have more questions. Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok and I should stick the probes in will the connector is still connected ? And should I be concerend about not get a ground reading on the 7 pin trans connector in the engine bay

You can stick probes in connector while it is still connected just make sure key is off. The solenoids don't even get a specific ground so I don't think that is anything to concern yourself with. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok and the light blue wire should have how many volts when key is on? And I can ground the meter to the trans body and probe the blue wire in connector to check it ?

It should have battery voltage, so around 12v and yes grounding off transmission body is fine. I'd try to check codes before replacing anything though. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I hooked my mt2500 up to it earlier and got no codes besides abs being underpowered. And ok I will check the power to the blue wire and solenoid resistance tomorrow

Sounds good, let me know if you end up needing anything. I'm going to get offline now. Thanks again and have a good night.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thanks you too

Thanks, I'll talk to you tomorrow.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok so i think I found the connector you are talkin about its facing up right near the shifter linkage if so I will have to move front drive shaft to do anyprobing. While I was down there I noticed the TC access panel is missing and the TC is rusty. Also what readings should I be getting from the trans when I hook my scanner up and drive around the block grov pressure, rpm output, gov voltage, ect..

My database is not working right now so I can't pull up information. I'll open question up to see if someone else can provide that info, thakns.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok
Jeep Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 month ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

Do you still need help?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Yeah I still need help
Have you checked for fault codes?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
can I look at my convo with the other guy so I don't have to repeat everything

If there are no codes set then you don't have a solenoid circuit problem.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok well why am I not getting a ground reading for the transmission when I check the connector under the hood

I'd need to know exactly what you're doing to be able to explain why you're seeing what you're seeing.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
There is a seven pin connector nest to dipstick in the engine bay that is supposed to be the connection for the transmission and the top row of three pins the middle is supposed to be the ground
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I was checking that ground reading for ressistence and I'm getting no reading thinking possible open circuit

If you had an open circuit to anything on the transmission you would be setting fault codes.

What is it you're trying to diagnose?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The transmission is not shitfing when it does shift it is fine but it doesn't always shift

What gear is it staying in?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
First and second it gets stuck in doesn't want to go thru the rest or go into overdrive
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If I get up to speed and rev it high sometimes I can get 3rd gear but that's it no overdrive

Has actual and target governor pressure been compared at the time this is happening?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Yeah it's gets up to target
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
1psi for 1 mph I'm pretty sure

You either have clutch issues or sticking shift valves in the valve body then.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How can I tell the difference between clutch issues or the valves

The valve body could be removed and opened up, the clutches and servos can be air pressure tested, the trans could be disassembled.

A used trans would be the cheapest way to repair it.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Might just replace it for cheaper then

A valve body alone would be more expensive than a used trans. If the valve body didn't repair it then the trans would need to be overhauled or replaced.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Yeah I'm gonna replace the trans for cheaper is what I'm sayin

Please remember to rate my performance before leaving the site as that is the only way I receive credit for helping you; a five star rating is greatly appreciated!

Good luck with your vehicle!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok so even tho you said my problem is internal I'm still doing testing and the brown wire at the transmission connector is only getting .11 volts with key on

You don't need to perform any electrical testing, the vehicle does so continuously at all times. An electrical problem will set fault codes, turn the engine light on and lock you in third gear at all times.

The brown wire at the solenoid pack connector is the overdrive clutch solenoid driver and would not have power anyway.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok so then what is the power wire the other guy said light blue but there is no light blue wire
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have had electrical probs and not thrown anycodes when I run the Jeep the lights also flicker

You aren't concerned with testing any wires.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Well i was asking for help with electrical stuff on here and none of my questions are really being answered prob just gonna cancle this sight of my card

I've answered your question about the electrical testing, and diagnosed the actual problem you were having. You do not have an electrical problem causing your transmission issues and there is nothing for you to test. The vehicle does so 100% of the time and would set a fault code immediately if there was an electrical problem, and you would be locked in third gear.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok so for future reference do u have any information as to what wires do what on that conector

What testing would be required depends on the fault code setting.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
u dont know wich wire is the power wire on the transmission connector?

Yes, I do. The trans relay output to the trans 8 way connector is the light blue wire in pin 1.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I pulled the connector it was soaked in atf I cleaned it up pluged back in and scanned and got codes p0753,p0714, and p1763

Clear the codes and see if they come back after driving. If so then you created a connection or wiring issue.

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician