Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

2011 Wrangler Check engine light ... have replaced gas cap…

2011 Wrangler Check engine...

2011 Wrangler Check engine light ... have replaced gas cap and tube to gas tank .. system checks good and runs for about 45-55 miles before light comes back on ... small emission/evap leak .... I'm frustrated!!

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

Stays on, thank God ... never flashes on/off

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Wrangler yourself? What have you tried so far?

No ... took to my dealer.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I'm thinkin' that will be enough for now ;-)

3/19/2018
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

Did the dealer do a smoke test to determine the filler tube and gas cap were bad?

I believe so ... wasn't there. Initially, replaced the gas cap 'cause it wasn't staying on/tight. Then the new one came off while driving .. they then changed the filler tube and all checked ok. 50 miles later light came on again ... after they reset the light there was no leak detected ... agh!! Thankfully, there was no charge for the last check as there was no defect noted .... is there a "sensor" failure as a possibility?
Ok Eric ... what next?

HI,

Yes, a common failure is the ESIM(EVAP System Integrity Monitor) switch which is integrated into the vapor canister. It is basically a leak detection switch that does a self check of the Evaporative system. It can set the leak fault code you are getting one of two ways - actually detecting a leak, or falsely detecting a leak.

As the last check showed no leaks, then the ESIM switch is setting a false positive and needs to be replaced

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating
Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you

Thanks will take that info with me to the shop tomorrow. btw, since I didn't use the "live phone call," how do I get the $26 back?

HI,

I can send a message to customer service on that

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Eric, went out and did the ignition switch on/off three times test to see what the call out would be ... odometer didn't change, but the engine light flashed about 8 times and then went steady ....
Ok, that means that there is a code pending but has not set has an active hard code yet. It may take a few days before it sets as a hard code to retrieve it doing the key method
Should I take it to the dealer service dept tomorrow or wait for the code to harden?
As for the other item, is the ESIM switch changeable or do I have to change the cannister?
I would set an appointment for Wed. Or Thurs to give it a few days of driving to allow it to become a hard code
You have to replace the canister as the switch is integrated in it
Tks! Will try to get you feedback as this is taken care of by the local shop. Thanks again, Mike
Canister is around 150 and 0.6 hour, about 60, to replace
You are welcome
Eric, thanks for your help .. local Dodge garage did the work yesterday, and indeed the ESIM switch was faulty. Glad that is taken care of!! I do have one more question if I may ... I'd like to have an OEM remote start kit installed. P/N 82213625AC was the 2011 kit, and now has been discontinued ... the next generation/version (?) is listed as 82213625AD ... My question: Will the AD kit work in the 2011?? tks, Mike

I show it only works on 2013 and newer, so it would not work

I did find the 82213625AC here

https://www.ebay.com/p/Mopar-82213625AC/584375727

Went to the site .. confirmed the product ... ordered and obligated $$$ ... THEN THEY SAY "NOT IN STOCK" ! ..... REALLY PISSES ME OFF!!!!! why make the offer when product isn't available? Sorry, Eric, not mad a you ... just really tired of the same run around by retailers. Tks for your help. Very happy with the help you've given.

HI,

You may have to end up going with an aftermarket remote start

Good morning Eric, A new problem has cropped up on the 2011 JK ... Cruise Control works fine, WHEN I CAN GET IT TO TURN ON .... what's your advice?

HI,

Ok, I dont do much with cruise controls, but let me pull the schematics to see what are likely causes of intermittent issues