Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

I’m trying to see what level the coolant temperature on the…

I’m trying to see...

I’m trying to see what level the coolant temperature on the analog gage should read at normal operating temperature. My needle won’t rise any further than 1/4 of the way up at 158 degrees Fahrenheit. Do I replace the sensor?

Mechanic's Assistant: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to go over that information regarding your Jeep. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?

Not yet, I’ll need to know the exact sensor if that’s the problem and the location of it in the engine bay

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/18/2018
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

Temperature should be in the middle around 200 degrees. If it is low the most common cause is the thermostat sticking open or warped thermostat housing. My goal is to provide 5 star service so please let me know if you have any questions, thanks.

It is a 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7. It has been overheating intermittently for the last month or so. I have already replaced the thermostat but that didn’t fix the problem.

So it usually runs too cold but randomly overheats?

Well I wouldn’t say that it runs cold, I’m just saying that the analog gauge doesn’t seem to follow what the digital gauge reads. I was thinking about replacing the temperature sensor

If it is only running at 158 degrees that would be considered cold. How often does it overheat?

It just overheated yesterday when my wife was going to take it to the car wash. I Ran it today after replacing the coolant and it seems to work normally other than the temperature On that analog gauge failing to reach operating temperature. The fan works fine and the heat is boiling hot from the vents
I guess I just assumed that normal operating temperature on the analog needle would rise to right in the middle of the gauge and not just a quarter of the way up

The coolant temp sensor is located under throttle body. If heat seems to be hot and problem is random then replacing coolant temp sensor would be a good place to start. Here is a picture. My goal is to provide 5 star service so please let me know if you have any questions, thanks.

-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5duho1ppldlbg4h/ectr.pdf?dl=0

Great! I’m going to try that next. And thank you for your help. Can I simply log back on if I need help again?

Yes you can reply back to this answer at any time without additional fees so make sure to let me know if you need anything. Thanks again and have a great day.

Dan, Technician
You do the same!

Thanks, ***** ***** updated.