Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

I have a 2011 jeep grand cherokee 3.6L V6. My transmission…

I have a 2011...

I have a 2011 jeep grand cherokee 3.6L V6. My transmission has been giving problems. Last November at about 93000 miles... It started to over rev before the gear would engage. Sometimes from a complete stop it would not move when I pressed the gas. I had to shut off and restart. I thought by changing the transmission fluid that would fix it. It worked fine for 3 months and then it started again! Same thing. Truck is very sluggish to change gears at times and over revs. Help!!

Mechanic's Assistant: When was the last time your transmission fluid was checked? Changed?

November

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Grand Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?

No. A mechanic changed the fluid. That's all

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/16/2018
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you ,I will Try to Help you with This Issue
In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sunday through Friday from around 5 am to 9 pm Eastern time.Zone If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.
If you see a call request on your screen ,That is an automated feature the web site offers all customers.

Possible causes

1- low fluid

2- low line pressure( like a weal trans pump )

3- worn internal clutches

4- valve body clogged ?

in other words ,the engine races faster than trans and rpm surges up , put u pulling slow ?

and you also have delayed engagement when dropped in gear correct ?

Are you looking for the most possible causes or you are repairing it yourself .

Please Let Me Know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
there is delayed engagement and the truck drives slower than normal to get up to speed. I'm not fixing myself. I took it to a mechanic last November and he just changed the fluid. Was fine but now its doing it again 4 months later!

This what you need to do

1- Check fluid level ,make sure we are not low ,if low check for leaks ,ad correct level

2- if level is good, replace fluid again, ask the mechanic to check fluid for small metal shavings in the fluid when he drops it , they can use like a paper filter screen to run fluid thru it to see

if found , then the trans will need rebuild

3- if none found , replace again and retest

4- be good idea to scan it with capable scanner that can read trans fault ,u need jeep specific scanner for that ,like local parts store scaner want do , they can only read engine faults or abs ,not our tcm that is needed her, with these fault we can pull up a pin point troubleshoot on it and be accurate

these should be next steps for you

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation.

If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).

You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.

I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases,

It can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If they find shavings I should take it to the dealer right? I have an an extended warranty. Not sure I trust this guy to do it. Will the dealer charge me just to check it? If so about how much?

Yes Sir 100% take to dealer if u have warranty

price dealer $1000 to $1800, depend if they can rebuild that one or need new housing if there damage when they tear it down,but they want until then

Please Take a Second and Click the Stars at the Top of Your Screen To Rate Me , So I May receive My my Credit , A 5 Stars Rating is Much Appreciated

You are very welcome :)

Chad Farhat
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you.

Thank you for the Rating :)

If you need my assistance in the future, Start your Question with (FOR CHAD FARHAT ONLY) or Go to my profile page

You can also add me as Favorite expert for any future questions

http://www.justanswer.com/car/expert-chadfarhat/?rpt=3800

Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat