Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

I need a PDF for a 2010 Dodge Ram 150 5.7 Hemi To diagnose…

I need a PDF...

I need a PDF for a 2010 Dodge Ram 150 5.7 Hemi To diagnose and repair a problem with My IP gauges pegged and inop on the message center It has several lights on the message center and states ESP and BAS and clean rear backup sensors ...

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the light been on for some time?

I just noticed recently , the truck is not driven in the winter months

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ram yourself? What have you tried so far?

It,s a a 2010 Ram 1500 miles with only 8 ,000 miles on a 5.7 Hemi . I just replaced the battery and disconnected the neg post to discharge the system and tried the odometer button to reset to no avail , ALSO SO MY WINDSHIELD WIPERS RUN CONTINUOUSLY WHEN NOT EVEN ACTIVATED . yES i AM A MECHANIC

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I HAVE RUN MY OWN SHOP FOR 40 YEARS BUT LACK THE PROPER DIAGNOSTIC RELEIVENT TO NEWER VEHICLES

Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
3/15/2018
Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 30+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

This sounds like you may be having a CAN BUS communication failure. Has it been scanned for codes yet?

Sorry, I'm unable to talk on the phone at this time. Most of the time, for car questions, communicating via this site is best.. Makes it easier for me to post important needed information that you can use to fix your vehicle..

I also need to let you know that my responses may be delayed because I may be helping another customer, or I may be temporarily offline. Your understanding is greatly appreciated.

Thank you...

Robert

I have been pouring over extensive related material and can not locate a PDF down loadable Tech Repair for my 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi to identify and isolate the issue that plates me at this time ! I have a new battery and left the neg post discharge totally and my Premium IP CLUSTER shows ... ESP BAS , THE MESDAGE CENTER HAS STATED CLEAN BACKUP SENSORS AND MY WINSHIELD WIPERS RUN CONTINUIOSLY EVEN THOUGH I HAVE NOT PHYISCALLY TOOCHEDTHE SWITCH !!! AND THE "R " TREMAINS RED IN MY 5 SPEED SHIFT PATTERN EVEN THOUGH IT IS IN PARK ! I DID TRY DRPRESSING THE TRIP ODPM BUTTEN FOR A RESET ATTEMPT AND DROVE THE TRUCK FOR 10 MPH AT 30 MPH AAFTERWPRDS WITH NO CHANG ... ???
Have you ever dealt with a similar issue that I,m currently encountering ??? And if so I am ready to get busy now !!!

Before we can start diagnosis, we MUST scan the vehicle for codes using a Factory Level scan tool. We need to know which modules are offline before we can continue. There are literally hundreds of possibilities for the concern you are having. The scan will let us know where we need to start...

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions...

Thank you,

Robert

Yes, I have delt with this type of issue. 9 times out of 10, it is caused by an AFTERMARKET electrical accessory installation. Do you have any aftermarket accessories installed in this vehicle??

No!!! I. Bought this truck brand new in 2010 special ordered and every componut is OEM FACTORY INSTALLED AND THIS TRUCK GETS TOUCHED BY " ME" ONLEY !!! If I perform any maintenance my self then I know it was done properly !!! Not trying to sound perfect sir but after spending my life time in this business I get person satisfaction of not taking shortcuts !!!
I just checked and found that the can bus was not implemented to my OEM FACTORY radio was not introduced to my truck unroll after 2006 and then they went to one wire ...
What is your opinion of if I pull the fuse on the pcm and do a hard reset on that component alone ???
I do not have a factory scan tool at my disposal so we need to find another way !

Pulling the PCM fuse will likely NOT help but disconnecting the battery completely may help. Do this and leave it disconnected for a few minutes then reconnect it and retest. Post back the results...

You stated: "I just checked and found that the can bus was not implemented to my OEM FACTORY radio was not introduced to my truck unroll after 2006 and then they went to one wire ..."

I'm not sure what you mean by this statement. Your vehicle in fact does have a CAN BUS type network. There is a high speed CAN Bus (CAN C) and a lower speed CAN Bus (Can B or CAN IHS, depending on the vehicle) and lastly there is the Diagnostic CAN C Bus. CAN BUS is the Communication Network Protocol that is used on your vehicle for communication between modules. Since the cluster doesn't work and all the warning lamps are coming on along with the wipers defaulting to "ON", is leading me to believe you are experiencing a CAN Bus failure. The Cluster is programmed to default all warning lamps "on" when this happens and of course the gauges will not work.

The reason we need to have it scanned with a factory level scan tool is because we need to be able to "Talk" to ALL onboard computers to see who is not talking on the CAN Bus, and also retrieve the codes that will also help pinpoint where to start diagnosis. Once I have codes, I can obtain the proper PDF documents to help you diagnose this concern. At this time, I HIGHLY recommend to find someone with a factory scan tool (WiTech) or a high end scan tool such as Snap On Modis ore equivalent. Once you have it scanned and retrieve all stored codes, Post them here and I will do my best to help you figure this out.

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Here is a sample of a pdf document for no response from Cluster. --->> Click Here to view <<---

We can only use this document for diagnosis AFTER we determine whether or not there is a problem with communications to the cluster "Only"...

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

You stated: "Not trying to sound perfect sir but after spending my life time in this business I get person satisfaction of not taking shortcuts!!!"

You stated: "I do not have a factory scan tool at my disposal so we need to find another way !"

I'm the same as you, when it comes to electrical diagnosis, taking shortcuts usually ends up costing you A LOT more...

This is why the starting point MUST be a COMPLETE vehicle scan with a CAPABLE scan tool. Best choice is a Dealer tool.

Keep me posted and let me know when you are ready to continue...

Thank you,

Robert

Robert , today is Sunday 3 - 18 - 2018 . I i've contacted a local shop that uses the " Mobis Edge " however he can not work me in until Tuesday March 20th ... I am at holding point ! You said that you did not understand my comment about the Can / Bus reply on my behalf , let me explain . I understand what you are saying about my truck having a can , bus configuration and I agree that you are correct ! While researching online another Tech made the statement that was accurate but , that after 2006 they switched from a two wire to just one ! I do not know the significance of remark he stated . I can make you aware of the symptoms that the truck is portraying presently I can not figure how to get around the message center displaying the ESP , BAS AND a big red Insignia all simultaneously clearly indicating that some or a component is not talking to the configuration of the overall system . Is this problem possibly tied into the network through the Pioneer CD , Navigation and the factory evic system and do I need to reconnect the battery post and drive the truck so that the ECM can relearn my driving habits to restore programming ??? Why do I get the feeling that this problem might center around the radio / Nav . /U -connect / heated - cooled seats and 32 bit radio ??? Heated steering wheel and individual heating and cooling zones !!!
Someone stole my factory rims /tire about two years ago and I replaced all with OEM equipment ... tires were all balanced and weighted with OEM Tire pressure monitor sensors ... I had to remount and drive the truck at specific speeds and distances to establish the base line for the can bus and it proved very successful and I have never encountered an y problems with the monitor system after it established the link to operate properly !!! You,s truely Walt ...

You stated: " While researching online another Tech made the statement that was accurate but , that after 2006 they switched from a two wire to just one I do not know the significance of remark he stated "

His statement can be considered "Partially Correct" when it comes to your vehicle. Your vehicle has two wire systems in the CAN C, Diagnostic CAN C, and CAN IHS. There are although a few one wire systems on your vehicle that are called "LIN Busses". The Cluster and Steering Control module include LIN Bus Networks...

To be continued...

Is it possible that if I reconnect the battery posts at this time and just drive the vehicle to allow the ECM establish and set a new communication could possibly rectify the situation ???

You stated: " Is this problem possibly tied into the network through the Pioneer CD , Navigation and the factory evic system and do I need to reconnect the battery post and drive the truck so that the ECM can relearn my driving habits to restore programming ??? "

It definitely can be, it all boils down to the vehicle scan and what is and what isn't communicating on the networks.

As for driving to learn your habits, really the only thing that can benefit from driving is the TCM (Transmission Control Module) portion of the PCM/ECM. This learns the proper shift points and smothness of the shifts. The only other thing that requires driving is the Tire Pressure Monitor because the Tire Pressure Sensors ONLY transmit tire pressures after driving a bit or when they are woken up by certain programmed parameters.

PCM learning involves mainly emissions items and fuel control... This happens all the time while driving....

You stated: "Why do I get the feeling that this problem might center around the radio / Nav . /U -connect / heated - cooled seats and 32 bit radio ???"

Very possible. Believe it or not, a faulty radio can in fact cause a "No start" situation if the radio completely brings down the CAN IHS...

You stated: "Is it possible that if I reconnect the battery posts at this time and just drive the vehicle to allow the ECM establish and set a new communication could possibly rectify the situation ???"

Very possible, you will definitely know if this helps after a fairly short drive of a mile or two....

If problems persist, keep your appointment but also keep in mind that i really HIGHLY recommend to visit a dealer for this type of diagnostic unless you are very confident about your mechanic....

Thank you,

Robert

Robert , this is Walt again . Can you tell me where the port is located on my truck and when I hook up the MODIS scan tool what code or codes should I expect to SEE ??? I am not talking about anything related to emissions fault codes whick usually stats with a P 206 or whatever . And by the way I have driven the truck so I can tell you that a , NO START condition does not exist and the truck still runs like a raped ape and the shifting aspect is smooth and right on !!!

The OBD Port is located under the instrument panel near the hood release. This port is a 16 way port. --->> Click Here to view <<--- (Generic Illustration - not exactly the same as yours)

Codes that you can expect to see could begin with "U" such as U0141-00 or "B", and possibly "C" codes. U codes are communication codes, B are mainly body related, and C tend to be chassis type codes. There are others but mainly just retrieve and write down ALL codes and post them here....

You stated: "And by the way I have driven the truck so I can tell you that a , NO START condition does not exist and the truck still runs like a raped ape and the shifting aspect is smooth and right on

This is what I was expecting...

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

One more thing ... I noticed a audible buzzing sound originating in the lower left corner of the cluster that gradually subsides when the ignition is in run position and the cluster is intermittently emitting a dim light illumination continuously !!! I read somewhere of a moisture sensor of sorts and When this all started I noticed that the inside of the wishield was pretty saturated with condensation " considerable amount " ... I attribute this to just sitting outside and not driven for a least a month and between the amts. of rain and snow. So I started the truck and put the defrost cycle on HI and let it run to dissipate the the excess moisture issue and that is when I noticed that that the gauges , wipers , message center problems occurred !!!

You might be on to something. The cluster itself is a module that communicates on the CAN IHS Bus. If this module is not communicating, your symptoms are definitely on the list of possibilities.

The codes will DEFINITELY narrow this down significantly!

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Robert , I forgot to mention that because the brake light on the IP was illuminated I also red that a potential problem that may be associated with that indicates may be because of moisture accumulation issues and so I pulled the lever back on the cab unit located behind the battery and used a 1500 watt heat gun at a reasonable distance in an attempt to eliminate moisture if it were in the boot or pins and reconnected it with no results ! Do you think if I repeated this process towards the left corner of the cluster it may have an effect possibly on dissapaiting moisture if it indeed exists ???
Or just run the truck with the heat on Hi to help reduce / eliminate moisture in the crew cab for a period of time ???

Moisture getting into the connector the ABS Control Module is not really a possibility. These connectors are designed with the proper sealing to stop moisture from getting inside. Attempting to dry out the connector or driving the vehicle is NOT likely to help solve the issue. Keep in mind what I stated earlier about when the cluster loses communication on the network. It is programmed to default the warning lamps to "ON" and the gauges will usually not work at all.

This is why we need the codes as retrieved from the vehicle before we can make any type of assumptions and also keep in mind that trying different things in attempt to fix the problem may actually be making the problem worse by introducing problems that may have not been there before...

Hi Robert something weird just occurred ! I had my cell phone in my pocket and my brother called me on it and the truck was running and I did not engage the U - connect button on the panel and his voice started coming through the speaker system in the truck with out me pressing the paring or engaging the system physically ??? Whats up with that ???
It is an android Samsung cell ...

If your phone was already paired to the Uconnect system it is normal for the audio to be routed through the uconnect system even if you answer directly on the phone. In other words, if a previously paired phone was in or near the truck, answering the phone will still route the call through the uconnect system...

Robert , this is Walt ... Monday March 19 ,th 2018 . I am contacting you directly to "cancel " my "just ask " contract - agreement at this time due to the fact that I was able to fix the problem we have been discussing on my 2010 Ram 1500 IP cluster yesterday and the truck is fully operation now !!! I want you to know however that I am very satisfied with all the information that you had supplied me with and I am very grateful for having the opportunity to exchange in conversation with you personally . Though we have never met and do not personally know one another is not even a factor in my opinion . You have my E -mail address and cell phone no: 419 - 349 - 8951 would still love to correspond in the future simply because we both share a common denominator ... we love what we do !!! I hope you would entertain this suggestion it would be a pleasure continuing conversations in the future ... Sincerely yours Walt ...
I have resolved my Issue without pulling the codes ...

Hello Walt,

What did you end up doing to solve your problem? Very curious to find out what you did to fix it?

Please keep me posted...

Thank you and thanks for using JustAnswer!

Even though you are canceling your contract with JustAnswer, I will still GREATLY appreciate if you rate my service with a 3 star rating or better. Definitely helps me to know that my help is appreciated. This is the best way to convey this...

Thank you,

Robert

Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Technician
Good morning Robert , 03 /20 / 2018 ... 9:45 am ... hi Robert in regards ***** ***** question , What did I do to fix the issue with my truck ... I think that the easiest explanation would be my persistence and attempts and access to a scanner would be ... I ran my heat on high for one and a half hours to reduce any and all moisture combined with doing a hard reset by using a zip tie on the Positive and Negative post disconnected from the battery to complete the connection for the reset ... PS , I left the posts tied together for a period of three hours and reconnected the cables in accordance and then set in my truck and inserted the keyfob to the ON POSITION and the gauges fluctuated indicating that a connection had been established " My opinion " and turned the Ignition to the run position and and the IP returned to its,s normal function ! I have driven the truck three occasions now and normal function has been restored ... I hope you find my answer back to you satisfactory ! If you have anything that you might want to ask or add feel free to contact me at your earliest convenience , Sincerely , WALT ...
ps , i DID NOT USE OR HAVE ACCESS TO A SCANNER WHEN i RESOLVED THIS ISSUE , i CANCELLED MY APPMENT WITH MY MECHANIC WITH THE SCANNER ...

Cool, Glad you were successful in your persistance to get this fixed without a scan tool.

If it happens to do it again, remember that you can request me if you have additional questions on your vehicle..

Thanks for letting me know what you did to solve your problem...

Robert

PS - thanks for the Positive Rating - Greatly appreciated..