Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

Having problems getting the fuel pump to run/ no power back…

Having problems getting the...

Having problems getting the fuel pump to run/ no power back to the fuel pump. It’s in a 2002 Jeep Liberty

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

No it is consistent can’t get any power at all back there

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Liberty yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I am fixing it my self have it in my shop and I have checked relays and fuses and traced the wires

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I don’t think so

3/14/2018
Mark
Mark, 22 Year Factory trained technician

Welcome to JA my name is Mark.

Fuse 24 in the underhood fuse box supplies power to the fuel pump relay. Have you tested for voltage at this fuse and is the fuse good. Have you tried to jump the relay?

11.7 to both sides of the fuse
I have switched the relay with one that worked that was the same and it didn’t do anything

Thanks for the reply. Ok, if you pull the relay out and turn it over you'll notice the pins are numbered. Pay attention to pin 30 and 87 and where they plug into the fuse box. Pin 30 needs to have battery voltage. If you connect a jumper wire from 30 to 87, that will send power directly to the pump. Can you do that and see if the pump runs?

Have 12 volts there and jumping did nothing
OK good. So now either the wire is broken between the relay and the pump or the pump is no good. My money would be on a bad fuel pump.
Well it ran until the yoke broke and it pulled the plugs a part for the fuel pump I fixed the wires and still nothing was wonder if there was like and emergency shut off or something for the pump?
I got it found a ground wire that was broke still

Awesome! Good Job!

Mark