Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

Miss firing, 2014 patriot limited 2.4 2wd, Yes and I

Miss firing Mechanic's Assistant:...

Miss firing

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Jeep?

2014 patriot limited 2.4 2wd

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Patriot yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes and I replaced all the spark plugs and changed the coil on cylinder 2 that it said was bad

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? When did you last change the plugs?

Yesterday and it has 88800

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That it runs rough and is starting to ha e some white smoke out the back tail pipe

3/13/2018
jim
jim, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome.

My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today.

What was the determination that the coil on cylinder #2 was bad? What did the spark plugs look like when you removed them? Were they discolored in any way?

They was discolored and it had the code that said multi miss fire and miss fire cylinder 2
Plus it has some whitish smoke coming out the tail pipe now

Ok, white smoke is an indication of water/coolant entering into the cylinder or oil burning from poor engine sealing. 2 things needs to be done at this point, remove #2 spark plug and look for water or coolant on the end of the plug, if there is water or coolant you have a head gasket issue. If no water is present look for oil on the plug and do a compression test on that cylinder.

It is my goal to give you 5 star service, so please give me a 5 star rating before leaving the site today.

No water on the end of the spark plug and it starts to idle okish after it runs for a min and no milk white ish in the oil but smells rich at the tail pipe

What does the end of the plug look like? Black, white, clear?

Black kinda gray but I did put new ones in and I noticed that when I take it down the road and stop it spits some fluid out the reservoir on top of the engine and seen a couple drops coming out the tail pipe with the white smoke but it hasn’t loss any power/speed but it smells like radiator fluid

It sounds like you have a head gasket problem, you can have a die test done to confirm.

Yep I think your right I parked on a hill where the front was higher and water ran out the back tail pipe

Thank you for using just answers, please take time today and rate my services, I don't receive credit for my time unless you do so.

jim
jim, ASE Certified Technician