Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

I have a 2005 4wd Grand Cherokee which I purchased a while…

I have a 2005...

I have a 2005 4wd Grand Cherokee which I purchased a while back. It’s has 137,000 miles and has had knocking sound in the front suspension somewhere under bumpy road conditions. About 2 weeks ago the steering wheel would have to rotated right about 15 degrees just to steer straight again. When I would brake hard, the steering wheel would go back to normal. This all would happen under hard acceleration.

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

From the front suspension/steering come where, about a month but has become worse, Same thing happens now under light acceleration.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Grand Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?

A week ago I took it to for a front end aligment and told him of the noises. He inspected it and said the sway bar was a little loose but they rest of the suspension parts were good enough to received an alignment which is what he did. Since then I have installed front differential bushings (after online research).

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes, I have been repairing this myself so far.

3/11/2018
eauto
eauto, The Car Guy

Hi . Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

Sounds like sway bar links and sway bar frame bushings like your mechanic said

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, I will change them.

They are inexpensive and easy to do and won't effect alignment... hope you can rate my service 5 star

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok

Thanks again

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I changed the sway bar links and sway bar frame bushings earlier today, made no difference.

Have you checked the ball joints and struts?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My mechanic checked the ball joints and tie rod ends before the alignment, I will check the struts tomorrow.

Check the mounts also

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok

Let me know

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will

Ty

eauto
eauto, The Car Guy
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Case closed! I found the problem! The inside bolt on the rear of the lower passenger side control arm was very loose, I tightened it and now have no problems except the alignment seems a little off now. It looks like my alignment mechanic forgot to tighten it.
eauto
eauto
eauto, The Car Guy