Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

I had the tipm replaced on my 2010 jeep patriot recently,

Customer Question
I had the tipm...

I had the tipm replaced on my 2010 jeep patriot recently, but now the vehicle won't crank over or start and i think the fuel pump isn't sending fuel through the system either. the battery is good and everything lights up like it should but when i try to start the jeep it just kills every thing else for that moment.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuel supply? And are all the spark plugs working?

The fuel supply is good and i assume the spark plugs are good because i could always at least start the vehicle before i had the tipm replaced but either way shouldn't it still crank over even if one of the plugs were faulty

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Patriot yourself? What have you tried so far?

Well no shop really wants to work on it once they assume it's an electrical problem so i got a trailer and took the jeep to a friends place near by. so yes im trying to diagnose the issue my self now

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

How much does it cost?

Mechanic's Assistant: It can cost anywhere from $10 to $100, depending on the type of issue and how much of the Mechanic's time your question is expected to take (how complex and lengthy an answer you require).

Do you except debit visa's

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Jeep
3/11/2018
Jeep Mechanic: Mark, 22 Year Factory trained technician replied 4 months ago
Mark
Mark, 22 Year Factory trained technician

Welcome to Just Answer my name is Mark.

Did the Jeep ever start after the TIPM replacement, in other words, did it start fine for awhile and only now is it giving you issues?

What was the reason for replacing the TIPM?

Can I assume you have tried jump starting it?

no the jeep has never started again after the tipm was replaced. the reason the tipm was replaced was because i was seeing more and more lights light up on the dash (ABS,traction control, air bags things like that) and not every time but became more and more frequently when i started to drive and got up to about 60km/hr it would just bog out and i could not really accelerate so the shop where i had it thought it was the tipm. and yes i have tried jump starting it too but it wouldnt start and it seemed like it was almost killing the other vehicle to like the lights and everything was dimming
i don't have a cell phone

Thanks for the reply. I'm seeing multiple possibilities here, so I'll need to ask a few more questions to try and decide the route you need to take.

The fact that you stated that the lights were dimming etc when you tried to jump start it makes me wonder if this still might be a battery issue. Can you swap in a different battery just for testing purposes, and see if that makes a difference?

If there is still no change, then I would want to know if this was a new or used TIPM and was it programmed to your car?

If it wasn't programmed, then that might be your issue right there since they need to be programmed to each specific VIN they are installed into.

These Patriots also have a number of issues with corroded wiring at the relay box that is mounted under the battery. You can access this relay box by removing the inner fender liner at the left front wheel. The wires typically corrode off the bottom of this box where they go into relays and this also creates a no start situation.

So, there are some thoughts for you and some things to check. I hope that helps to answer your question but if you need anything further just let me know, thanks.

I came across the relay box and there were some corroded pins that i cleaned up but where would I find a wiring diagram for the relay box and what relays are they? there was also one relay in the relay box that had a pink wire soldered to the one pin an coming off a red wire and im just currious what that wire is for.