Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

Loud clicking in the engine compartment and my Idle rev is…

Loud clicking in the...

Loud clicking in the engine compartment and my Idle rev is about 600 rpm

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you double-checked the battery? And are the wiring connections to and from the starter in good shape?

Yes the engine starts and I had thought it was my oil because I hadn’t done an oil change yet so I did so. No change

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your 600?

My Jeep is an 06 liberty

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 600 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Oil change

3/11/2018
Amedee
Amedee, Jeep Technician

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

Do you know what is making the clicking noise or where the clicking noise is coming from?

Does this noise increase with engine speed?

Would you be willing to speak on the phone?

the noise is coming from the top portion of the block in the back. It increases with rpms. Also, once I hit about 3000 rpm the check engine light flashes. Otherwise the check engine light pops on in sync with the knocking noise. When I parked the beast last week there were no noises or lights.

Thank you for that information. It sounds to me like there is a broken engine component in the upper end of the motor. This will not only make noise as the engine is running, but can also cause it to misfire as the engine is running. This could be anything from a broken valve spring, collapsed lifter or maybe even a burned valve. Depending on the root cause, the cylinder head may have to be removed to get it fixed, but that is not always the case. A professional tech would need to look at it and remove the valve cover for a complete inspection to determine the correct fix.

I hope this helps! My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Could all of this be caused by the Jeep sitting for a week? Like I said it wasn’t acting up last week when I parked it. We have had a lot of snow and fluctuating temperatures in that week but that can’t cause any trouble can it?

No, just by the vehicle sitting should not cause this issue.

Amedee
Amedee, Jeep Technician
Okay thank you

Your welcome