Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

2001 jeep grand cherokee starts then dies does this vihiicle…

Customer Question
2001 jeep grand cherokee...

2001 jeep grand cherokee starts then dies does this vihiicle have a ballast resistor?

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

Did but battery is down now

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Grand Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?

Trying to help grand son long distance. my chrysler did this a couple of years ago turned out to be the ballast resistor. grandson cant find this item on his jeep

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Battery has been going down replaced the battery had the alternator checked it checked out ok

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Jeep
3/10/2018
Jeep Mechanic: Robert R, ASE Certified Technician replied 3 months ago
Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 30+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

No, a 2001 Grand Cherokee does NOT have a ballast resistor.

The most common cause for a start then die is a problem with the Immobilizer system.

Can you ask your grandson if there is a "red dot" or "Key with a slash through it" illuminated on the instrument cluster when he tries to start it? What does this light do? Does it remain on steady with the ignition in the "Run" position or does it flash or does it go out after a few seconds?

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

I also need to let you know that my responses may be delayed because I may be helping another customer, or I may be temporarily offline. Your understanding is greatly appreciated.

Thank you...

Robert

Thanks Robert. My response may be delayed also. I'm in Oklahoma and grand son lives in Breakenridge CO.

Sounds good. Let me know about the security lamp and ask him if you can get the last 9 digits of the VIN for me so I can do some research on this...

Thank you,

Robert

I just wanted to check in with you to see if you need more help with your concern. A non rated question normally times out within 7 days, so I wanted to stay in contact with you to see if the problem has been solved.

If I have helped you resolve your concern and you have already rated my answer, I want to say "Thanks", and let you know you can still follow up on this concern if needed. Also, I want to let you know you can bookmark ->>> My Profile Page <<<- in case you have another automotive question in the future. Make sure to begin your question with "Robert R" so I will be able to easily find it

If we are still working on your concern, please post a reply so we can continue.

If you are happy with my answer and have not left a rating, please do so asap to complete the transaction. It is greatly appreciated as I recieve no compensation until you do so...

If you're not satisfied with my answer, BEFORE rating, please post a reply with a short explanation as to why. I may have a better explanation for you... It also helps me to refine my answers to help future customers more thoroughly and efficiently.