Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

After towing my 2010 Jeep Liberty with the transmission

Customer Question
After towing my 2010...

After towing my 2010 Jeep Liberty with the transmission disconnect, all gears worked except the Park would not engage.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the level of your transmission fluid? Is it bright red, or is it dirty?

Full and clean

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Liberty yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have not taken it to a mechanic yet.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No other info

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Jeep
3/10/2018
Jeep Mechanic: Danny, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician
Is your Jeep Liberty the*****or*****model?Can you clarify what you mean by Park would not engage?Does it show that you're in park on the dash but it just isn't in park? Or you can't even get it to show its in park?
2+4 wheel drive
Park will show on the dash but the "gear" would not engage; the car could roll free in Park
How long will it take to get an answer?
Sorry we are not sitting in a call center or anything we answer on our cell phones or computers.So there's a thing called a park lock pawl, if the vehicle still rolls free in park you're going to have to use your e-brake from now on because you have broken the park lock pawl in the transmission which would require a transmission rebuild to fix.The four-wheel drive Jeeps don't require a drive shaft disconnect all you needed to do was put the transfer case in neutral and then put the transmission in park but my guess is that you didn't put the transfer case in neutral all you do is put the transmission in park which caused the park lock Paul the break generally when the transfer case is in neutral the transmission doesn't even move even though it's in park but if you put it in park and you don't have the transfer case in neutral then the transmission actually is going to spin inside, I'm surprised you didn't actually blow the transmission up.If I've answered your question your satisfaction please remember to hit accept as that's the only way that I am compensated by the site.If you have any further questions you may still ask them even after hitting accept.